Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceWords & Wordplay · 1 month ago

Did I word this correctly (inasmuch)?

So I want my essay to look professional. Did I use inasmuch correctly? I really want to use the word. 

Satellites have been vital to everyday life inasmuch as their introduction in 1957.

Dont judge me lol im a freshmen who loves writing

• RP

Do you mean "since"? If so, that's what you should write. Inasmuch as does not mean "since", but is more like saying due to, as a result of, or similar expressions.

No, and not judging.  "Inasmuch as" is generally used to introduce a specific fact or condition that causes a limitation of some sort to the larger idea under discussion.

It is variant of "given that" or "whereas".

It is not used correctly.  Even it were, it would be unnecessary and somewhat redundant; the best writing is always clear, concise, and to the point.

You're looking for the word 'since,' and 'inasmuch' does not mean 'since.'   Here is a rewrite, using your original sentence: 'Satellites have been vital to everyday life since their introduction in 1957.'  

Better rewrite:  'Since their introduction in 1957, satellites have been vital to everyday life.'

Just change it to ever since their introduction.

No. You mean to say ... ever since their introduction in 1957.

No. You're looking for a time connector. "Inasmuch" is a cause and effect connector. 

Satellites have been vital to everyday life inasmuch as they control our communications, entertainment, and business transaction.

Satellites have been vital to everyday life since their introduction in 1957. 

• blank
      1 month agoReport

Perfect answer.

it sounds okay to me

• Brian

Looks good to me.