promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

Will my Marine Recruit be sent home?

My fiance is at parris island right now. He shipped out about two weeks ago and i just got a letter from him saying he is in EHP ( Evaluation Holding PLT) with severe ammonia, upper respitory infection and they have diagnosed him with asthma on top of that. What are the chances he will be removed from boot camp, and if so--how long until i should expect him home?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

He doesn’t have “severe ammonia” but severe pneumonia: a serious lung infection.

They’ll give him medical treatment and then assess whether he’s going to be fit enough to continue. If his asthma is likely to be permanent then that will end his career with the USMC if he cannot pass their Pulmonary Function Test. Some other US military branches such as the Air Force won’t allow people to serve if they must carry an athsma inhaler: I very much doubt that the USMC does not also follow that rule.

Either way, he’s likely to be sent home on furlough if he’s allowed to restart basic training with a later intake class after rest and recuperation, or could be sent home permanently. Pneumonia typically takes at least six months for a full recovery, and many sufferers acquire permanent or temporary asthma as a result.

If you want a firm answer then at present even your fiancée doesn’t know because until his medical treatment ends the USMC cannot make their decision.

• if he was to be sent home, how long does it usually take

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 month ago

if they said he has asthma, then he will be booted out, take a week or so, not untill the ammonia and respiratory infection are cured

if its just ammonia and respiratory, he'll stay there till healed, then rejoin another boot company at the same stage he was when he was placed into the holding platoon

• Mrsjvb
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

Pneumonia.  Ammonia is toxic

• 1 month ago

you need to ask them this question

• 1 month ago

He qualifies for VA disability.  You should apply now.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Pearl
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

i would ask them this question

• Robsteriark
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

Another pointless fence-sitting answer. The USMC won’t respond to questions from the asker because she’s not yet married to their recruit.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.