promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceCredit · 1 month ago

How did fraudster get my debit card details (uk)?

I opened an account just for direct debits and destroyed the card upon arrival last year by cutting it up. It was never used but I didn’t cancel the card with the bank, the fraudster tried using the details without the PIN in USA (I know you don’t have chip & Pin) , I’ve never even been to America. I doubt someone went through my trash  and tried to put my card back together to get the numbers as I did this over 6 months ago plus the details were used in a different country. 

How do you think my details could have been stolen?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • martin
    Lv 7
    1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

It's possible the fraudster got hold of a list of accounts and saw that yours was dormant, unused. This made the fraudster think he could get away with hanky panky without being noticed.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 month ago

It is possible your computer was hacked, or the bank/card issuer.  Really no way to tell without any forensic analysis.  

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

The bank or the company that makes the cards were hacked.

• 1 month ago

Likely an employee of the credit card issuer / bank holder.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

My card numbers have been misused 3-4 times over the years. One time I am pretty sure it was from a redbox machine, the others, I have no idea. Credit cards did not either. Says it happens. All but one of the times, they knew before I did and called me.  I suppose a computer virus can steal it that way if you ever used it for an online purchase.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.