Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceCredit · 1 month ago

How did fraudster get my debit card details (uk)?

I opened an account just for direct debits and destroyed the card upon arrival last year by cutting it up. It was never used but I didn’t cancel the card with the bank, the fraudster tried using the details without the PIN in USA (I know you don’t have chip & Pin) , I’ve never even been to America. I doubt someone went through my trash  and tried to put my card back together to get the numbers as I did this over 6 months ago plus the details were used in a different country. 

How do you think my details could have been stolen?

• martin
    Favorite Answer

It's possible the fraudster got hold of a list of accounts and saw that yours was dormant, unused. This made the fraudster think he could get away with hanky panky without being noticed.

It is possible your computer was hacked, or the bank/card issuer.  Really no way to tell without any forensic analysis.  

The bank or the company that makes the cards were hacked.

Likely an employee of the credit card issuer / bank holder.

My card numbers have been misused 3-4 times over the years. One time I am pretty sure it was from a redbox machine, the others, I have no idea. Credit cards did not either. Says it happens. All but one of the times, they knew before I did and called me.  I suppose a computer virus can steal it that way if you ever used it for an online purchase.