Am I doing okay in life for a 19 year old?

I’m 19, I attend community college for my liberal arts degree and I’ll be graduating next year with an associates degree. I work fast food and make $250-$350 a week depending on the hours I get. I see other 19 year olds already making it big, it makes me wonder if maybe I’m doing too little for my age and need to get out more. Just wanted some opinions from people out there.

• Judy

You're only 19 and you haven't graduated yet, so you are doing fine.  Don't be so hard on yourself.  Also, you don't know if some of the people that you described as "making it big" got their job through family or some kind of connections.  Sometimes it's not what you know, but who you know.

You are still a young man. It is better for you to gain the work experience and study at the same time. Stop comparing yourself with other people who are making it big time. They are the same age as you but lack the experiences you already have in your life. Do not compare yourself to others because you will become vain and bitter. 

I suggest that you focus on your own personal goals and get the experiences you need to keep a stable job. No one knows what will happen when you reach adulthood and by the time you are thirty years old you will have been happier than those who have it all at nineteen.

First of all, no 19 year old is "making it big" except for instagram/tiktok/youtube influencers. Thats a fact.

Second of all, You are doing FINE. You really are. However, I'd suggest for you to go back to school and get your bachelors degree in something besides liberal arts. 

• edward

Define “making it big”. I was in university and working (not in fast food) but i was making more than minimum wage just because of the sheer amount of money my parents poured into me when i was younger so i had the skills to have a better job. While i may have had more when i was 19, it was nothing as compared to my after college life

You're in school. That's your priority. So how are you doing there? What's your GPA? That's far more important right now.

You might need to socialize more (i.e., get out more), but if you're going to school, studying AND working, you may not have a lot of spare time. Don't compare yourself to others; it'll make you crazy. Just stay the course, get your degree and move on to university. You're doing just fine for someone your age.

• MS

I think you're doing just fine.  I don't know of any 19-year-olds who are "making it big."  As long as you're happy and taking care of yourself well, then you shouldn't worry about what anyone else thinks or what anyone else is doing.

Don't compare yourself to others, you don't know their situation and if you start that now you will be doing the same thing in your 20s... and 30s... and so on. There are always going to be people who seem like they've "made it" compared to yourself and there will be people who seem to be "failing" compared to yourself. Ask yourself, "Am I doing the best I can right now? What is the next step I would like to take?"

• Laurie

There are no 19 year olds “making it big”. Trust me. It just seems that way to you. Read Aesop’s “The Hare and the Tortoise”. You are the tortoise.

• .

Assuming you're going to transfer to a university, you are doing fine.