Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingNewborn & Baby · 3 months ago

Kids coming to see baby after birth...?

I want to know if I sound like the bad one for not wanting my boyfriends 10yr old brothers and his 6yr old sister come to the hospital to see our baby after he’s born. I don’t mind them coming to see our baby when I get situated back home but I don’t want them to come to the hospital. This is my first baby and I’m paranoid about germs and who all comes to see me/baby at the hospital. His siblings are in public school and get sick very frequently, they are always coughing and sneezing and I never see them washing their hands. I also have high anxiety and will be very anxious being at the hospital period. 

Am I being to mean or bossy??

The hospital I’m going to will allow anyone to come. Only flu season visitors have to be 13+ but we will be out of flu season when I give birth. 

Also there’s a good chance I’ll be having a C-section and that’s another reason I don’t want a lot of visitors.

• Edna

You're getting worried for no reason. Most hospitals won't permit children as young as 10 and 6 years old to visit anybody at any time, during flu season or not; especially not visit in the same room with a new-born baby. The hospital has no way of knowing those kids' medical history or if they might be carrying a germ that could infect every other new-born baby.

Your not being mean, it's your first baby and your anxious.  Surely the kids can wait, till your settled back at home and tell your husband to get them into a habit of washing their hands after going to the toilet.

You are being mean. Sorry, his family care and probably are pleased to know they have another baby to love. You don't have to let them hold the baby, but they would love to see him/her, and would probably be hurt to find out they were not welcome.

• L

Just tell him no children while you're still in the hospital.  Once you get home.......still no children until your baby begins vaccinations.

Sometimes children are not allowed beause they can easily spread infections.  The hospital probably wouldn't allow them in anyway,

• sarah

The hospital I gave birth in didn't allow kids past the maternity waiting room (unless it was a sibling of the new baby), but honestly, I would have been totally cool with having children visit. All you have to do is say, "Hey, kids, can you please go wash your hands really quick before holding the baby? Also, here's some Germ-X; use that, too, please. And if you need to sneeze/cough, please make sure you turn away from the baby and cover your mouth."

They can wash their hands/use hand sanitizer at the hospital just as easily as they could at your house, right?

In the end, it's YOUR birth and YOUR decision...but I do think you're being a little mean.

If you don't want kids visiting, then don't allow it.  IT is YOUR birth, and yes they are going to be the little ones siblings, but if YOU don't want them there, that is your right.  They will have plenty of time to see the new baby when it gets home.

Why not let people come see the toddler ? ... it's respectful

• Edna

Hospitals don't want people to visit a new-born because young kids and "other people"  might be carrying a germ that could infect every other new-born in the Unit.  STOP referring to a baby as a "toddler". A toddler is a child who is 1 to 3 years old. A new-born can't toddle; he can't even walk.

• Murzy

Many hospitals don't permit youngsters.

Some hospitals have age limits on visitors, so check that first.

Otherwise, I think it is unreasonable to say they can't come and see the baby at the hospital.  They can wash their hands before they hold the baby if you are worried about it, and if they are obviously ill, you can say they cannot hold the baby.