Anyone else miss the old days when laptops were more durable and had better hardware because they weren’t so thin? ?

It really annoys me that computer companies nowadays seem to care more about how thin and lightweight they can make their laptops than the quality of the hardware and durability of the overall laptop. I mean, just ten years ago laptops were thicker, meaning they actually had room to hold good hardware and didn’t dent or crack so easily. And that makes me really sad. Sad that companies would rather skimp on the hardware and other materials in their laptops just so they can make them as thin as possible. Anyone else agree?

The reason they were thicker was because they held more powerful heat sinks and weren't DESIGNED to break in 2 years. You can shove the same hardware in a new laptop, but it's DESIGNED to get problems by becoming thinner.

I still have my Macintosh Powerbook 100 with a built-in 3.5-inch floppy drive, and 2400 baud modem, since about 1992.  Before that we had the Grid Compass and NEC UltraLite (at about 4 pounds), but had to give them back to my former employer.

• Lv 7

not just to make them thinner. they use less parts and less plastic/metals, so they also cost less to make.

you'd think that'd make them cheaper, too, but then those greedy ba$tards wouldn't make as much money.

what can you do about supply and demand? if we all stopped buying for a few years, they'd come down a bit, but who can go without a PC that long?

• Smokie

Nope. I do not agree completely. It's true they are thinner but that also means lighter. As the components get faster they are also made smaller and produce less heat reducing the risk of over heating your board. I've had the old school thick/heavy laptops and currently have some pretty thin ones and have never had an issue with them braking easily. Portable has never implied durable.

Agreed.  I like laptops with metal frames, last forever.  My 1999 Dell Latitude CPxH-500GT still runs Win98.

My 2006 Acer Aspire 5610 is a good large laptop.

I buy 2011 year HP Elitebook 2740p ones on Ebay for $110 (were $1600 new) that now have Win 10.  I review condition carefully--have to have all parts working fine to be a bargain.

I tried a 2012 2760p but I think the Win 10 keyboard driver is not compatible, has some errors, so I use a USB keyboard--works fine.  Could go back to 7 or even Linux.  Lots of ports, folding screen to use as a touch tablet, can buy DVD drive and/or extra battery to fit under it.

I believe most laptops need extra cooling. Using USB exhaust fan box over grill is good to help GPU or CPU last.

You can still find very good used Lonovo Thinkpads that are heavy duty for $150-400 depending on which one and which processor.

Excellent laptops.

Not really, if I want a laptop like that I'd order myself a Panasonic Toughbook.