What charities can my mother apply for?

My mother is in the final stages of heart failure. She was going to get an LVAD, but one of the medicines they would use during the surgery is something she has a bad reaction to (I'm afraid I don't know all the details about that), but the hospital denied her.

She's also just barely above what our local hospital acknowledges as acceptable BMI for them to give a heart transplant. But it is sort of hard to exercise to lose weight when your heart is in the process of quitting.

We're trying to go to other hospitals (which also happen to do more heart transplants per year than the 4 or 6 ours does), but they need to meet her before they agree, and are more than a state away.

This wouldn't normally be a problem (apart from even car rides exhausting her heart), but my step-father had to quit his job because his employers didn't like the amount of time he had to take off for my mother's frequent trips to the emergency room, and they denied him unemployment benefits. We're living off of disabilities' pay at the moment, and if our insurance won't cover the cost of places to stay for the visit, we simply can't afford to go.

Do you know which charities we could apply for to help? For the transplant itself there is one that will pay to fly her to the hospital since we're so far away, but there's still so much else that needs to be payed for, and our insurance is being extremely unhelpful.

It doesn't sound like you're bring realistic about your mother's circumstances, and maybe she's not being realistic either. Is social services involved with the family? They are usually the best source for seeking assistance.

Your quest sounds like it may be a futile one, though ...and there are not a lot of charitable options for futile care. It's probably going to come down to what you can do, personally, or what you can convince other individuals to offer you.

Consider how your mother's short time left might best be spent before proceeding.

• Lili

Have you talked to a social worker at the hospital?  I realize this hospital can't or won't do the surgery, but social workers at hospitals are supposed to be up on this sort of thing in general.

And see below.  There's a directory of hospital hospitality houses for families and outpatients. There's no guarantee there would be anything near the hospitals in question, but you can call THEIR social workers and ask.

I have to say that I don't think it's standard for health insurance to pay for hotels for family members.  That's not their job.

it varies