Do you like to read old books?

• Marli
    Favorite Answer

What do you consider "old"? 

I enjoy Jane Austen's novels but find Sir Walter Scott's an information bog.  I couldn't push through "Tom Jones", which, except for Shakespeare's plays, is the oldest fiction I have read in its original form of English.

• Lv 4
      1 month agoReport

.. and is the question re actual old books, scrolls, manuscripts, which can be fragmentary &
      difficult to access to read; books over a century old tend to be fragile and so need to be carefully read so as to preserve them: but reading a book thats actually a century or few old can be sort of cool

Yes, I do especially mysteries from the 30s and 40s.

yes i love old books, and in fact prefer old books to any new modern rubbish out now.

• Speed

It depends on how old. I hit a point at which the language becomes almost impenetrable when I go back very far. I'm mostly a pleasure reader and don't usually want to work that hard to "decode" an older book.

some of them