promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceTaxesUnited States · 1 month ago

Why is my job robbing money from my paycheck with a meals tax?

We get free food but now I'm being charged for it? I dont understand,  is it because I'm a minor?

Attachment image

13 Answers

Relevance
  • zipper
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

No! The meal is a type of income, and there for taxable as well as an income item: at lease they broke it down so you can see it!

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 month ago

No. And no.

Your job is not getting anything. Tax is money that goes to the government. It is not because you are a minor. It is because you are getting food for your work and they have to take tax when they give you anything for your work.

• 1 month ago

You don't get free food.

• 1 month ago

The free meals provided are considered income and you are taxed on them.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

Welcome to the reality of 'free'.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Free meals is a benefit that is apparently taxable where you live? Way back when I ran a pizza hut in 1986, I did not get taxed on my meals but there was no record of knowing if or how much I ate or the value of them. I did not get reimbursed for driving to the bank which I did about 10 times a week.

• 1 month ago

You’re not.  The value of the meals is getting added to your gross income and subtracted back out under taxes.  My guess as to why this would be done is that New Jersey considers free meals to be part of your taxable compensation and that you’re required to pay state taxes on the value of those meals.   The meals do not appear to be included in the calculation for your Medicare & Social Security (FICA) tax, so that’s why it looks to be a state issue.  

• Casey Y
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

You are 100% correct Michael...

• P
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Your employer appears to be collecting tax on the value of your free meals which is required by the IRS in some cases.  In cases where the food is not consumed on the employer’s business premises the IRS considers the value of the food received as income and therefore requires tax to be collected.    That said if this is food that is consumed while you are on break you shouldn't be paying tax on it.   Your actual taxes paid appear to be minimal so I wouldn't worry about it. 

• 1 month ago

You will have to ask your employer.

Do you get free meals?

• Tavy
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

This could be a charge for the time you take off for a meal break.

Talk to your employer.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.