San
San asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 1 year ago

Cuts of beef and meat loaf?

Can I use any cuts of beef to make ground meat to make meat loaf?

Thanks!

• 1 year ago
    Favorite Answer

Yes. But as ground meat is typically made with less desireable cuts of meat I would be unlikely to use expensive cuts.

Traditional meat loaf is a blend of meats, beef, pork and veal. You can use any combo you want to experiment with. I find the mixture of meats has a huge effect on the finished texture especially.

I find that using part (or all) ground turkey makes for a very dense and firm meatloaf, which I don’t care for. I use more breadcrumbs and/or vegetables with the turkey added to make it less dense.

Ground pork will typically add flavor and fat and is good for the overall texture.

I never use veal because I just ... don’t cook with veal but hear it adds tenderness.

A couple decades ago my favorite upscale local restaraunt had a meatloaf special about twice a month. I spent a couple years fooling around with meatloaf recipes first off trying to knock off theirs, which I pretty much did, and then exploring the many various meatloaf recipes out there and developing my own. I’d make meatloaf every week or two and make three entirely different ones each time I made meatloaf, so I could tweak my recipes three times as fast.

When I’m fooling around with recipes like that I take notes on everything I do, then update those notes while I taste the dish. Each time I tweak a recipe I do this on a new sheet and staple the most recent one on top. This way I know what I’ve done and can duplicate it as well as try things I think might be good while I’m tasting it. I eventually settled on a favorite recipe, which I’d share but I just moved and don’t know which box it’s in. It is a spin on traditional meatloaf with a little fresh horseradish root grated in and a dash of nutmeg.

Ah, and if you’ve never tried to make homemade ketchup, I highly recommend it. You can tweak it to your own tastes (I like intense tomato flavor with less salt and sugar).

• 1 year ago

Technically yes but there's no need to use prime cuts.

• 1 year ago

yes....................

• 1 year ago

Ground Beef meatloaf is a classic. Try this easy recipe ... What's better than a hearty meatloaf when you get home after a long day? It's a recipe ... Cut into slices.

• Janet
    1 year ago

Sure, but it is most practical to use the cheapest cuts you can buy ... that is what the butchers do.  You do want SOME fat ground in to make it tasty and juicy.

• 1 year ago

Sure, as long as there's enough fat to keep it juicy. We make it out of moosemeat, but add some bear fat.

• 1 year ago

Yes, but the quality will vary. You can grind even the most lean cuts, but it will make for a dry and not very flavorful loaf unless you use more seasonings than you would need with fattier cuts.

The best meatloaf is a blend of ground shoulder or chuck, veal, and pork.

• 1 year ago

of course you can.

Ground beef is often various cuts that were cut incorrectly, bits that were the wrong size, trim of the bone, near a fancy cut, etc.

Its ground beef.

• 1 year ago

Just do not use a real lean beef.  If you do add fat of some sort either grind some bacon in with the beef or grind some pork in.  A real lean beef will make for a dry dense meatloaf. 

1 year ago

Technically yes, but you may not like the result depending on what cut you choose.

Cuts that are lean (under 15% fat) or have a lot of connective tissues (like brisket or shank) aren't going to behave the same way as regular ground beef.