Professing Christians that participate in politics! ?

What does this article tell you ?The attitude of the first generations of Christians toward the existing political order was determined by the imminent expectation of the kingdom of God, whose miraculous power had begun to be visibly realized in the figure of Jesus Christ. The importance of the political order was, thus, negligible, as Jesus himself asserted when he said, “My kingship is not of this world.” Orientation toward the coming kingdom of peace placed Christians in tension with the state, which made demands upon them that were in direct conflict with their faith.

Well Matthew 7:21-23 says: 21 “Not everyone saying to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter into the Kingdom of the heavens, but only the one doing the will of my Father who is in the heavens will.+ 22 Many will say to me in that day: ‘Lord, Lord,+ did we not prophesy in your name, and expel demons in your name, and perform many powerful works in your name?’+ 23 And then I will declare to them: ‘I never knew you! Get away from me, you workers of lawlessness!’+

Sooooo here Jesus is talking to people who are claiming to be Christians. Apparently there will be MANY who think they are but will be rejected because of their actions- including what you mentioned.

• abdul

Do you think the 1st century Christians were allowed to vote or something in the Roman empire? Politics were not democratic elections back then. The demands of the state were that they worship Caesar as their god. They refused, and that put them into conflict with the empire. Those people were no more allowed to "participate in politics" in that era than they were able to run the Romans back to Rome.

We're supposed to build God's Kingdom with divine help. That's what politics is.

• Rolando C I
      1 month agoReport

You've gotta be kidding. Where in the Bible does it say that ?

I doubt Christians would give your watchtower rubbish a second thought.

1) Professing Christians that participate in politics! ?

What does this article tell you ?

Well, professing Christian that refuses to participate in politics...

first off, it tells me that the article is questionable

since no source is cited

neither publication

nor author

nor author's credentials.

2) The attitude of the first generations of Christians toward the existing political order was determined by the imminent expectation of the kingdom of God, whose miraculous power had begun to be visibly realized in the figure of Jesus Christ. The importance of the political order was, thus, negligible, as Jesus himself asserted when he said, “My kingship is not of this world.”

Conclusion does not follow logically from the premises.

The author of this "article" is, clearly, neither educated nor experienced in reasoning skills.

3) Orientation toward the coming kingdom of peace placed Christians in tension with the state, which made demands upon them that were in direct conflict with their faith.

Statement sufficiently vague that it could mean almost anything...and signifies little or nothing.

• A Yahoo User
      1 month agoReport

Why is it that to you, "Stubborn" means "You don't agree with me even after I have offered unsubstantiated and unreliable support for my belief."

jesus was (and is) imaginary

It tells me:  "The attitude of the first generations of Christians toward the existing political order was determined by the imminent expectation of the kingdom of God . . . "

Source(s): Greek Orthodox Christian
    • Rolando C I
      1 month agoReport

No it doesn't. Don't you know how to read?  It says the importance of the political power was thus negligible as Jesus himself asserted "My kingdom is not of this world".