Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 1 month ago

Can an unruptured brain aneurysm be missed on an MRI?

I'm writing a novel and creating a plot point where my character ends up in the ER with severe headache pain and memory loss. She has tests done in the ER but they are vague/ inconclusive. Is this even possible? Or would the standard tests definitely catch an unruptured aneurysm? Thanks!

Favorite Answer

It would certainly be possible to miss a small, incipient unruptured aneurysm, but if it were that small it wouldn't be causing the headaches and other problems you describe.

I had an unruptured aneurysm diagnosed many years ago, and the MRI scan of course showed it clearly as it was very large indeed. However although it was heralded by appalling headaches, I had no memory loss or any other symptoms.

• Cogito

You'd do better to do some research on specialist medical websites, or at least ask in the 'Health' section here.

In my very inexpert opinion, in medicine almost anything is possible.  It may be extremely unlikely, even a one in a million chance, but nothing is ever 100% certain.

You might want to consider Joe Biden as your model.  He's had two aneurysms.  A lot of people attribute his mental slowness and increasing senility to these events.