promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

How many native English speakers are bad at English?

Are there hundreds of thousands of native English speakers who are really bad at comprehending English, and speaking it properly and fluently? I mean I'm curious whether there are many native speakers who don't even understand an easy sentence fast and have a big trouble talking with people in English because they don't know many English idiomatic expressions and words. As far as I know, as for my native language, there don't seem to be a lot of people like them, but as English is used worldwide unlike my native language, I bet there could be a bit of difference in this case.

2 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

No, an adult native speaker doesn't have the problems you speak of.  Some idiomatic expressions are regionalisms, but most if not all of the phrasal verbs are idioms all speakers know and use.  There are people who choose not to bother with honing their language skills or who have acquired a grammar some consider substandard.  Communities large and small model the grammar a child will acquire.  But an adult native speaker has no trouble understanding a basic sentence at say, a fourth grade level.  

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

That's probably because they take their first / native / dominant language for granted.

But this isn't exclusive to English .. French was my mom's third language and yet she 

can speak, read & write it better than a significant number of native French speakers.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.