Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsRodents · 1 month ago

I am about to put my guinea pig up for adoption. Was guinea pig badly bred?

Well the week after I started handling her she would nip and then bite me as I was carrying her. I thought that was odd because I had other guinea pigs and they would fight for dear life clinging on me. But this GP bites me, and I left her alone in the cage for a few more days. At one point I dropped from her biting and she started limping, she is the first GP Ive had that does not recognize gravity.

Okay I thought it was me, so after 8 months I put her in a more busier area in the house and she begs for food so that every one can hear. She eats so well and today I got her, a whole head of lettuce and 15 small carrots, and her cage food. She still stands up and chattering her teeth like she wants to bite me. She ate for over two hours straight and still pretends to be hungry enough to give me a bad attitude.

Call me lenient but now I know something is wrong with her.

• Raven

Does not recognize gravity?? You dropped her, she does not understand a bite will lead to you letting her fall to the floor. You say she 'pretends' to be hungry? Guinea pigs do not have the smarts needed to deceive. If she acts hungry, she's hungry! I think the bad attitude is all yours. Every animal is an individual. Don't dislike her because she doesn't fit the typical mold. Respect the way she is and learn to live with her the way she is.

• hammy
      1 month agoReport

How about you take her in then if you think my attitude is bad for not wanting to be bitten?

None of that sounds abnormal or overly aggressive. What is her enclosure like?

• hammy
      1 month agoReport

No roof and bigger than store cages, she has a towel and her food bowls.

• Bort

There's probably nothing wrong with her. Some animals don't like being touched and handled. Or maybe she bites because her teeth are bothering her. Hopefully you know rodents need to chew hard things to grind their teeth down because their teeth never stop growing and if they get too long they can become painful for them and it could be why they bite often if it's not that she just doesn't like to be touched. 

https://www.pbspettravel.co.uk/blog/guide-guinea-p...