promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

How much money is in a bundle if someone had a large sum of money in a briefcase?

I'm working on my 18th book, and a character of mine is going to stumble on 5 million dollars in a hidden wall safe.

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Huh?
    Lv 7
    1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

If it's all in $100 bills there would be $10,000 per bundle (one hundred notes).  A 'strap' of ten bundles would be worth $100,000 and be about 5 inches high.  You could probably fit nearly a million dollars' worth in a briefcase, 5 million would fill a large suitcase.  If it's a mix of (say) twenties, fifties and hundreds, the volume would be correspondingly larger.  

It would have to be a pretty big wall safe, a floorstander would make more sense. 

https://www.quora.com/How-tall-is-100-000-dollars-...     

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 month ago

This is where google comes in handy.

----------------------------

One Million Dollars Size Examples

100 x $10,000, or 10 x 10 stacks measures 12" across x 13" front to back x approx. 5" tall. Scroll down for many photos and examples and contact us for quantity prices.

Prop Money Stacks & Piles - Dimensions & Measurementspropmoney.info › prop-currency-dimensions

Search for: How big is a million dollars in cash?

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

There were large bills that were publically circulated.

They were gradually withdrawn from circulation after 1969, but;

There are supposed to be about 336x $10,000 bills, and 342x $5,000 bills left.

336x $10,000 and 328x $5,000 would make 5 million dollars.

So, a minimum of 664 bills would do it.

That's not bad; the size of 2 lage paperback books, maybe?

Not probable, but possible?

• 1 month ago

US banking standards put 100 bills in a bundle except for one-dollar bills. (They're in there really tight, banded in a color-coded currency strap by machines, not people.)

So how many bundles it takes for there to be five million dollars depends on the bills' denominations. A banded bunch of 100-dollar bills is going to be $10,000. It would take 500 of those to equal $5 million. But it changes if you've got fifties, twenties, tens, or fives.

Two things to keep in mind. There aren't a whole lot of hundreds available at any given bank branch on a typical day; large transactions aren't usually completed with cash (except for illegal ones). For a character to have gotten very many banded bundles of hundreds is unlikely and if it happens repeatedly, it will arouse suspicions.

Be aware that for many years (I'm not sure when this started, maybe the 1960s?), banks have been required to report cash transactions, both deposits and withdrawals as well as currency exchanges, travelers checks, etc., of $10,000 or more to IRS, so the time it might take to amass that much cash could be substantial.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Marli
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

It would depend on the denominations of the bills. $100 x 50 = $5000 while $50 x 50 = $2500. But that's obvious, and I don't know if banks count 50 bills as a bundle.

I think that 1000 bundles of $100 bills make 5 million dollars if there are 50 bills per bundle.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.