pat asked in SportsOutdoor RecreationHunting · 1 month ago

Should I go back to ask permission to hunt land again ?

So about 3 months I was scouting out some potential hunting land up the road from my house. I had my eye on a few fields and went and talked to a few landowners in the area I was looking at. I stopped and got to talking with a very nice older lady who owned a good piece of land. Our conversation went really well, and we actually had sort of a mutual friend. I was interested in hunting coyotes and she informed me they had plenty and would not mind having a few removed from their farm. Towards the end of our conversation she told me she would have to talk to her husband about letting me hunt their land, and after giving her my card with all my info she promised me that her husband would be in contact with me very soon. I waited for his call and it never came. It’s been almost 3 months and I had been very busy with work and school so hunting neber really crossed my mind let alone this particular land owner. The fact that she told me he would call me and the fact that he never did makes me wonder if either they 1. Lost my card and had no way to contact me, or 2. Decided to not let me hunt their land and just never called me back. I really want to hunt this property and I plan on going out and talking to new landowners in the area this weekend and I’m wondering if it would be a bad idea for me to stop by and ask again ? I am just unsure because I feel like I will annoy them and that is the last thing I want. 

• Phil
    3 days ago

Hire a realtor.

Go bake some cookies or brownies and stop by.  Her husband did not call because he wants to see you in person and size you up...… that's all.  Probably wants to see the rifle you will be using and wants to show you his.  Or he wants to see you in person so he can walk the property line and show you what directions he wants you to shoot or where the coyotes are coming from.  

No way a second trip with cookies or brownies will be a nuisance.  Go for it.  

• C T M

You can tell a lot about a person by the way they write, speak or otherwise communicate. I believe your story, I think you're a decent guy and I also think the lady you spoke with thinks so too. Any number of things could have happened that prevented them from calling, anything from losing your card, forgetting about it, illness or a death in the family, you never know. You asked her once and she "knows" you from your previous conversation. 3 months is a respectable period of time to wait. It's not going to hurt a thing to knock on her door again and reintroduce yourself and get that permission to hunt in writing. 

Source(s): The worst thing that could happen is she tells you her husband doesn't want hunters on their land.

Wake up dude....

Hunting other's property takes relationship building, so yes, go talk to her/them again, bring some cinnamon rolls or something, be able to assure them HOW you hunt is not going to damage their enjoyment of things and that you know hunting guidelines and always ensure your target(s) and backstops, no skyline shots, etc. Hunting coyotes this time of year isn't going to be for pelts, they'll be shedding soon enough, BUT you can lessen breeding coyote numbers and that is a good thing for most landowners. Also, part of the relationship-building is stopping in besides to hunt, offering to do a day of fence-mending or maybe you have a valuable skill set that isn't a trouble to do for them. I hunt out west where most stuff is public access, but knowing a couple of people here and there helps with pheasant hunting and other stuff. I figure a ham or special coffee once in a while is a cheap way to maintain access. 

One thing to think about is getting it in writing you can access land during such and such times, that it only applies to you unless you make prior arrangements, and know who SHOULDN'T be out there if you are. You want to be a guest hunter, not a trespasser. 

maybe you should call them back

• Herman

I would definitely go back. Nothing  ventured nothing gained.