Question on Spanish language grammar...?

So in what context should a person use “la/el/los/las” (not asking when to use each one, but when to use “the” at all) cause like, “football is fun” translates to “el fútbol es divertido” and obviously in English it makes no sense to put a “the” there unless ur referring to some specific instance like “what’s best abt ur school” “the football is fun” but in just general terms you’d just say “football is fun”

Also like “a mí me gustá el café” vs just “I like coffee”

Basically in what contexts is it appropriate/necessary to use a “the” in Spanish where you wouldn’t in English, is it required to be grammatically correct, and how do you know? Like “comemos sándwiches” doesn’t have a “the”

ALSO do you use “the” to indicate day/month? Cause in Duolingo it says stuff like “abrimos las cartas los lunes” and won’t let me say “abrimos las cartas en los lunes” so can I just verify that the first sentence is in fact correct?

Thanks

• hi
    Favorite Answer

Hi

In spanish we use articles a lot..if you aren't sure whether you should use an article I would advice you to just use it because most likely the sentence would require it..For instance, it wouldn't sound incorrect to my ears to say "“comemos  los sándwiches”  though it would have a  sightly different meaning than “comemos sándwiches” .

Certainly the sentence " “abrimos las cartas en los lunes” doesn't sound right, at least to me it doesn't sound natural...I'm confused about what you're asking regarding this sentence, if I understand correctly you seem to think that this sentence isn't using an article for "lunes" however it is certainly using the article "los"..I would say that the days of the week often come accompanied with an article but the same doesn't apply to the months...I mean it doesn't sound right to  me to say "los febreros" or "el febrero"  ...

God bless you.

These are basic Spanish. Comemos is a verb for we. And the rest is knowing if it is feminine or masculine. Just like many other languages. Even Arabic female or male or French or German. Das die and der. Portuguese is also. Russian too... Doctor ... Basketballista