promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

My wife has Ankylosing Spondylitis (AS), a disease of the spine. What are calcium levels in people with and without AS?

Ankylosing Spondylitis (AS) is a degenerative arthritic condition of the spine. The body thinks it’s injured when it’s not. In response, the body produces proteins, etc. to “protect” itself, which facilitates the development of osteophytes (i.e., bony outgrowths) on vertebrae that may lead to fusions. The Ca required to form osteophytes/fusions may come from bones. Over 40 +/- years, she has developed 3 fusions in the vertebrae of the neck and 2 in the lumbar region. It is excruciatingly and systemically painful; there is no cure.

We have tried everything available to ease her pain, including the latest medicines referred to as “biologics.” Unfortunately, these medications caused more trauma in my wife than the barely discernible benefit. However, my question does not involve the cure or her coping, but rather only a question regarding calcium (Ca).

What level of Ca is required to sustain people with AS compared to those without AS?

It would seem that

[Ca ingested (food, supplements, etc.)]

=

[Ca used for metabolism (strong bones, blood circulation, muscle movement, hormone release, etc.)]

+

[Ca that is eliminated (urine, feces, etc.)].

If a body with AS requires Ca from bones to “protect” itself, wouldn’t someone who has AS need more Ca than someone who is unaffected by AS?

Would someone confirm/refute the above or, more importantly, explain the bio-dynamics?

There are no answers yet.
Be the first to answer this question.