Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingBaby Names · 1 month ago

Why Asians used western names?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

Or create western feeling movies like Cowboy Bebop? :) Just kidding. I know what you mean.

In school, I had a few Asian female friends, and they wanted to go by western names like Amy...etc.. I don't quite understand the mentality behind it, but perhaps having their names butchered so many times... they choose to go for a simple style of a name that those around them won't likely butcher. And it's not that people butcher names intentionally or should be expected to learn the pronunciations of the 1,000 + languages that are out there. If you are in a country where there is predominant language, it is more reasonable to assimilate to their language, rather than asking the majority of people who can communicate with each other to learn all the languages out there to communicate with the 1,000+ people. It's easier for the one person to learn the one language. It's just more sensible, reasonable, and rational this way. This being said, one of my friend's names was Ying, which was easy to pronounce and not butchered, and yet my friend still wanted to change her name to something like Amy. She just wanted to. 

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 month ago

Asia is a huge continent with about 42 countries and different nationalities. 

If you mean Chinese people, they adopt western names for ease of pronunciation. Also chinese people say the last name first when saying the full name, so it is confusing for westerners. Other asian countries do not have that problem. Japanese, Indian and Russian names are easier to pronounce.

• 1 month ago

To fit into western societies. Names that aren't pronounceable or memorable to westerners make them stand out as different.

• edward
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

I have a friend Tomoko, it’s not a hard one, i have a friend Han-sol, she goes by Jenny. It’s just easier to use a western name and not an asian name like Xhi-Chi. A girl i know from high school. If she didn’t introduce herself as Amy you’d probably say it wrong because the way you say her name has a certain way you say it, not just saying it...something about the tone you have to use

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

cause they like those names

• Jill
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Because they can. Why not? 

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Why asker used bad grammars?

• 1 month ago

Why not?

--------

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.