In The Crucible, what motivates the people of Salem?

Was it rev. Parris, the Putnams, John Proctor, Rev. Hale, or Abigail?

FYI the play The Crucible story is fake. You want to know the true story about Salem Trials, there are other books.

It's been a while since I've read it, but I remember Abigail was the main cause of the trial. She was the lead trouble maker of the girls who accused people of being witches. Especially Tituba even though Tituba and Abigail danced around at night, but because she is an immigrant or whatever, she is most likely to be accused as a witch.

That's all I remember.

There's also an awesome game on PS3 and PS4 Murdered: Soul Suspect *Spoiler* where Abigail from that time period. We aren't supposed to know that until the end.** It's creepy and cool at the same time.

• Marli

Your question makes no sense as written.

Do you mean, "In the Crucible, what motivated Rev. Parris to act as he did? What motivated the Putnams? ..." Each person had a different motivation for acting as he or she did.

Or did you mean, "Who motivated the people of Salem to act as they did?"

And what was it that they were motivated to do? In real life, Abigail accused Mrs. Proctor of witchcraft. She was their servant, and a disobedient, unruly one. John had beaten her for playing demented and accusing good women with practicing witchcraft.  Then Abigail accused John of practicing witchcraft.

If your teacher assigns a term paper comparing "The Crucible" to the historical Salem witchcraft trials and you read a book about the background, you might be as astounded as I was at the resentment and backbiting that the girls' accusations had flushed out in Salem village.

Try reading the book. If you already have, then read it again.

I'm sure if you read the book like you're supposed to you'll have your answer.