promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

Does Medicare pay?

My mom Medicare kicks in June 1 2020. She has no kind of insurance. If she went to the Dr now does Medicare pay for old bills.

Update:

That’s what I thought. My Uncles wife said it did but I thought it was to good to be true thank you all.

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Shay
    Lv 7
    1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

Medicare does not.

HOWEVER - MEDICAID does sometimes back up and cover for the last three months once someone has qualified.  Maybe that is why your Uncle's wife thought it did.  She might have been confusing the two.  

https://www.payingforseniorcare.com/medicaid/retro...

You should take your mom to apply for medicaid to see if she qualifies.  Qualifying is usually based on income.  This might cover the gap until she gets Medicare.

• ...Show all comments
    • Shay
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

When was the last time she applied.  Remember that if her circumstances change, she can apply again.  It is rough when you earn just enough to not qualify for help but still don't make enough to actually cover everything you need.          Good luck.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 month ago

If she does not qualify until June 1, 2020, then how on earth do you expect any bills before then to be paid by them? 

• Judy
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

No, they don't pay for anything that happens before it is in effect.

• marty
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

No I'm afraid not. Perhaps she can check on Medicaid to see if she can get that. Medicare only pays 80% anyway so Medicaid can cover the difference. Some Medicaid will also pay her Medicare premium payments. 

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

No; it does NOT pay for bills when you have no coverage!! :-o

• Nancy
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

No, it doesn't pay for old bills. It starts paying with the effective date on the card, which you say is June 1, 2020. Any medical bills your mom incurs on or after that date, not before, will be covered by Medicare.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

No, medicare does not pay for old bills.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.