Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceCredit · 1 month ago

Why can't I use my Visa Gift Card and how do I go about fixing it?

I just bought a visa gift card from Gamestop, and I've since tried using it at various gas stations. I have $25.00 on the card and my transactions come up to about $13.00, so I know I have enough money. Every time I use it, it asks debit or credit. I hit debit and I punch in a random pin like it says to on the back, only to have it come up declined each time. I hit credit, and it declines immediately.

I've used Visa gift cards fairly recently in the past with no issue. Why are my cards getting declined for no reason? And God knows I can't get a human in customer service to take care of this. I've bounced around numerous useless machines and get no answers. What's going on here? Why can't I use my damned money?

Why don't you just go inside and pay cash? Why waste your time with a stupid gift card.

It is a VISA gift card, not a debit or credit card and can not be used at a gas station.

Because $25 is not enough to use a card at a gas station. Gas stations typically require at least $50 be on a card, even if you buying less.

• Amy

Gas stations make you swipe your card before you pump the gas, so they don't know how much your bill will actually be. Therefore they require the card to have a certain amount available, maybe as much as $100, that will definitely be more than you spend on gas.

Go somewhere you can hand the card to a cashier.  

Did you bother to verify and confirm the money actually was loaded to the card?  The cards dont have any money until the get scanned...perhaps there was an error.  I'd confirm the money is there before getting too worked up .  

You have to pay inside. Most pumps do $49-99 holds and your $25 card wont work for that.

Buying a visa gift card to buy gas with makes no sense. Why pay a fee to buy gas?

Just tell the clerk you want however much and they pre-charge the card from inside.

When I did small debit card transactions at gas stations, I could come home and see each $99 hold. Normally, they fall off in a few minutes but in some cases, its a few hours. 

I assumed the card was activated. You can't just take one how and use it without paying for it.

I used to do a lot of very small debit card transactions for high interest checking accounts. Most Shell stations do a $99 hold. One off brand only did a $50 hold. But the holds are quickly replaced by the actual amount of the charge.

If gas stations allowed anyone with a debit card and a $1.12 balance to charge unlimited amounts of gas, they would have no way to collect the overage if the customer drove off after pumping the gas.