(Drumming) How to develop a stronger left foot? ?

I am getting into more advanced drumming at the moment, and I am happy with my hands and my right foot. However I have been battling for a long time with my left foot. From coordination (I cant keep it going over the top of complex beats), to playing 8th note hi hats over simple beats (My left foot gets really fatigued), to double bass... It just feels WEAK and SLOPPY :( Any advice would be much appreciated, and happy drumming to you all!

Favorite Answer

There could be a few things. Most is depending on which side is your body's dominant...Right side or left side. A right-hander usually drums from left to right. The drummers feet usually follows suit naturally. Your hearing also may have something to do with it. What kind of beat sounds are you aiming for? Also, I've seen a lot of drummers attempt to produce a certain sound and not having the appropriate items(s) to produce that specific sound. 

I assume you're using 2 bass drums with 1 or 2 extra cymbals and maybe 2 different types of percussion snare drums with an added 1 or 2 higher pitched top drums.

To build strength and stamina in your left foot, try using only the left foot in drumming a few of the slower beat songs even when the beat speeds up to where it's almost impossible to use only one foot. Do this in repetition sets. Don't go all out and end up straining the muscles, tendons and ligaments.

Giving it maybe 3 to 6 sets every 12 hrs. Giving you foot and such a resting break so that it can catch up to its work-out potential. At class or practice with the rest of the band, you and them will notice that results and the rewards are awesome!

Rock On, Man \m/

practice, teach your feet the rudiments and practice also look up independence exercises on the you tube, rob brown just put out a decent one a couple weeks ago and more practice

• Cian1 month agoReport

Thank you, I will definitely try some rudiments!!

Jumping rope for 5-8 minutes, a few times a day will strengthen your foot. Also, switch from moving your whole leg & ball of your foot, to a more 'gas pedal' (ankle pivot) style, to reduce fatigue .

• Cian1 month agoReport

Thank you for the advice!!