Pyrus
Pyrus asked in Consumer ElectronicsCameras · 1 month ago

How to mount a camera on a microscope?

The microscope in question is an Olympus CH30. I noticed that there are some cameras out there that can be mounted on such microscopes, and that they are placed on the ocular lenses (the eyepieces from which an individual observes everything). The thing is that this is rather new to me and I don't want to mess it up with an incompatible piece. Does anyone know an inexpensive camera (c-camera or maybe u-camera) that can be mounted on the aforementioned microscope? The budget is around 100$ and it will most likely be delivered from a site like Aliexpress. Any help/suggestions about camera types (along with links to them) are greatly appreciated. Thank you! 

Sorry I forgot to clarify. The camera itself isn't the one that's going to be the microscope. It's basically going to be like an eye replacer (as in the camera will be observing the microscopic particles under the microscope instead of a live individual). The result of course will have to be displayed on a monitor (connected via HDMI, VGA or USB). 

Favorite Answer

What sort of camera? There are numerous adapters for telescopes that will work just as easily on a microscope, even allowing you to use your cell phone instead of a large DSLR.

There are two things to look for... and Google will find numerous examples of both: digiscoping adapter for (choose your camera type) or just camera adapter for microscope. It helps if you know the barrel diameter of the ocular to make sure the adapter will work.

Another possibility is a T-mount adapter, which allows you to mount any DSLR/film SLR to one of the oculars, IF the scope allows it. Many telescopes do, there may be that option for your microscope as well.

Here are some t-mount examples: https://www.martinmicroscope.com/product-category/...

• Pyrus
      1 month agoReport

The thing is that I'm not really aiming for a high resolution camera. I'm aiming for a good. 720p or 1080p if possible. The problem is the budget. It isn't my budget, but the one imposed on me. Around 100-150$. So, a nice piece like a Nikon D3500 or Canon (especially Canon) are too expensive. 

• qrk

With a USD100 price point, you won't find anything with acceptable quality, especially anything from Aliexpress. You can get cheap USB microscopes with video output, but the quality of the image will be less than good.

• Pyrus
      1 month agoReport

Also, the reason I'm getting it from Aliexpress is because I can't get it from anywhere else. Places like Amazon and the likes do not deliver to my country. I've tried numerous sites. Aliexpress is unfortunately my only source.