How can I test a line output converter or RCA cables?

I installed an amp and subs in my car about 6-7 months ago. Since I didn’t want to change my factory head unit, I used a LOC (Line output converter). Everything thing had been working fine until a few days ago, when I noticed that at times my subs were hitting considerably weaker than they did usually. Sometimes they still hit as hard as they used to, it’s probably about 80/20, with 80 being that they’re weaker most of the time. 

I read on some forums that it could be bad RCAs, so I disconnected one at a time to see if that was the issue. I’m not an expert but when I’d disconnect the Red, there was no change, when I disconnect the black, the subs turn off. I then switched out the RCAs with some extras that I had laying around. The same thing happened, which makes me doubt that it’s the RCAs. Could it be the LOC? 

My car is a 2009 Honda Accord EX-L with nav. The LOC is wired from the wires that were connected to the factory sub on the rear deck. Thanks in advance.

• Bort
    Favorite Answer

A LOC is basically a voltage reducer. It converts the high level speaker outputs from the stock stereo to low level RCA outputs the amplifier may or may not require. The important part isn't what make year and model the car is it's more important to know what amp you have. You haven't mentioned anything about the amp. If you're running subs there has to be an amp in the system somewhere.

If there is a hi/low input button or switch on the amp you don't need the LOC, you can switch it to high and wire directly to the amp.

Anyway, since this has worked for you regardless of you really need the LOC or not, yes, that could be what it is. They're not as powerful at times because signal to them is getting weaker somehow.

It could also be a loose connection or fuse somewhere.

• Bort
      1 month agoReport

Yep. YouTube is probably going to be very helpful to you if you don't already know how to do the wiring. It may be a bunch more wires but in any audio system the less stuff you have in the speaker lines the better. Straight wire from one end to the other is best. Less stuff that can break or fail.

I am surrounded by the fortress of god.