Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesPhilosophy · 1 month ago

Time to play devil's advocate: What's wrong with being selfish, self-serving, self glorifying?

I look at the world, and the universe, and on an intellectual and philosophical level, I know that I'm absolutely nothing within it, just a grain of dust.

And yet... I'm everything within it because i'm the only one who's always here, from my vantage point. I can only experience this life as myself. So it would stand to reason the best thing I can do is that which improves and enriches myself.

• Jesere

As long as you do not infringe upon the rights of others do what you want.

If it were possible for a single cell to take the nutrients it is given and be the best cell it can possibly be it would not only improve itself but the organism as a whole.  

If that same cell were to take the nutrients from  other surrounding cells so that it could be the best cell it can possibly be it might improve itself temporarily, but would ultimately destroy the entire organism.

That's fine, as long as you're not unduly harmful.

"So it would stand to reason the best thing I can do is that which improves and enriches myself."

A chorus of philosophers say, "Right you are! The question is, how do you improve and enrich yourself?" 

Look up enlightened self-interest. Ayn Rand thought she understood it, but she was clueless. 

Definition of jovial

1: characterized by good-humored cheerfulness and conviviality : JOLLY

2: capitalized : of or relating to Jove [Jupiter, Chief of the Immortals]

“You have never seen the like of me before!” exclaimed the Spirit.

“Never,” Scrooge made answer to it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nz0b4STz1lo

Youtube thumbnail

• j153e

Jean-Paul meets Rene, and both go to listen to Immanuel:  enlightened self-interest is sowing and reaping per Plato's Noumenal charioteer rising and returning, until God's (your) victory's won:  Blaise's wager.

Cf Peter (Sloterdjik)'s "You Must Change Your Life," Soren's "Purity of Heart Is to Will One Thing," and maybe Mark (Prophet)'s "Understanding Yourself."

• Jerome

"I can do is that which improves and enriches myself"

Who is this 👁

That helps YOU🤔 improve yourSELF👤..

Me🤔

MySELF👤

And I 👁

Find the answer to this and you found the God (within)

I AM.