Now that windows 10 is practically useless what should  I do?   Start using Linux?

I heard that windows 10 requires a number of new security patches to operate safely, and that these patches are actually not secure.   So should I start using Linux?  Any recommendations?

• Lv 7
    Favorite Answer

those are lies.

but the truth is much worse. Microsoft actually tracks everything you do in Windows 10.

and it requires a much faster system than Win7 did. they force install apps you didn't ask for and force Windows Updates on you without asking, some of which may stop your internet from working. it's just a hassle. i hate that we have to use it at work. Linux is faster, easier to use, and free! i like Linux Mint, but some people prefer Ubuntu.

I am writing this on a dual-boot Hackintosh and Windows 10 machine. I use both for different reasons.

The reality of escaping the described issues is impossible. You may be no longer interacting with Microsoft's software that Windows 10 uses to track you but you're also ignoring the whole website portion of computers and websites do a TON of tracking to say the least. I know this because I am a developer myself for iOS and Web, and I will admit that there is usually a ton of data recorded on members for various reasons, including unique ways to handle accounts, messages, interests, etc.

I support Linux but not as something you should use as a daily drivers. It is very complex, and it doesn't have the huge array of supported softwares and drivers that Windows ever will. This is for very many reasons but it's the truth and while Linux is a great tool, I recommend you stick with Windows 10.

You switching to Linux is as if you were to leave your bank since they record your spending habits, and just begin storing all your money in your mattress, it's not practical, you can definitely do it, but it's still not practical.

If you're still hard set on switching to Linux. I suggest you look into FreeBSD if you're that worried about your security. You also can look into Fedora, Linux Mint, Kubuntu, Manjaro, Steam OS, and my personal favorite... Lutris

• Extra: I use Linux (CentOS 7) for running my servers. That's the most I would recommend though.

• No matter what you do on any device on any operating system you can never guarantee that what you do is secure. It's just the reality of computing. Some operating systems tend to have less known vulnerabilities and Windows does tend to get exploited a lot. That being said that doesn't mean you are actually necessarily safe on OSx or Linux. If you are interested in Linux there has never been a better time to try it out though as linux is easier to use now than ever. Another user suggested Linux Mint and I have to agree that it is a fantastic place to start.

Win 10 works fine.  YOUR habits matter vastly more than any antivirus.  Besides, the one that comes with it works fine.

Windows 10 is just fine. I use it all day.

I am writing this on a 2009 MacBook Pro. I do not have any antivirus software or anything else because it does not need it. The system works perfectly and it is secure.

Once you've had Mac, you never go back. 

• sirjester099
      1 month agoReport

Not true! I have an iBook G4 that was crap toast one week after the one year warranty expired! Junk! I will never buy another Apple product again!

Windows 10 is still plenty secure.  Your only real alternative is purchasing a Mac.   Linux is an option if you want a useless computer that has less utility than a basic tablet\smartphone. 

• P
      1 month agoReport

Sorry I don't need to list and argue over how useful a bunch of half baked linux\cloud programs are over the branded windows versions on top of which most games are not even available for linux machines.  There's reasons most businesses ditch linux even through it's free.  

• IOM

macOS, of course 