Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceSmall Business · 1 month ago

What might be a good small business for me to get into?

Here’s my situation.   Up until recently, I was living at home with my mother. Unfortunately, she had to go to a nursing home. Now I’m living alone in her house, and taking care of things.   Because of certain situations beyond my control, I am unable to go out and get a regular job. It’s a long story, so please don’t judge me.  Anyhow, is there some sort of small business I could start at home to make in income? Any ideas?

• cmac'm
    Favorite Answer

Turn your hobbies into hobby jobs, and your hobby jobs into part-time work. It usually starts with something you know well or are good at, something that you wouldn't need a lot of outside help with. Something with low overhead that doesn't take a lot of money to start.

I have an aunt that makes jewelry from wholesale beads and jewels, I have another aunt that buys second hand jeans and sells them online. I have a disabled cousin who works as a greeter, other friends who pick up part time work as catering servers and event staff.

You could do day care in your home. You would have to be 'vetted' by an agency, or you would have to have some kind of license if you baby-sat more than one or two kids--but it might be worth looking into. Day baby-sitters can earn up to $15-20 per hour.  You would probably need to provide lunch for the kiddos, snacks, have toys and amusements for them. And of course, you'd have to know what to do in emergencies. If human children aren't your thing, how about day-time or part-time dog/cat care? No license needed. Just loving care, a few walks for the dogs, attention for the cats.  Pet sitting is becoming a fast-growing job market. 

There are jobs for people who know how to sew, and can operate a serger--a professional sewing machine--where you would do "piece work"--i.e., sew a specific type of garment or item for a company. I know people who do this for a living and can't keep up with the demand. The company will often provide the sewing machinery and all supplies. Garment manufacturers often outsource the small types of jobs to home sewers. (Look up Home Sewing Jobs on Google.)  I also know of one or two who actually want people to operate a loom at home, doing weaving work for garments. They provide the loom--which is large--but these jobs aren't as easy to find. 

Don't fall for scams--there are thousands of ads for people to work from home--but 95% of them are fake jobs that only want you to pay money to some school or academy for 'training' so you can get this supposedly high-paying job. 

Also don't try to do crafts or handwork for money. The amount you will spend on supplies and advertising will kill any profit you make on such goods. Most people don't want to pay a handcrafter the ACTUAL amount they need in order to make a profit. 

Good luck.  Start networking. Ask around--especially if you're interested in the babysitting or dog-sitting jobs. The more you network, the more likely you will be to find something. 

The first thing you want to do is AVOID SCAMS.  Everybody will try to get you to sell their product in an MLM scheme.  That is just a fancy way to get at your money.  Read about business scams on the Your Harmonic Resonance site.

• denise

Proof reading.

Survey completion.

Writing short stories.

• Judy

What things do you know about, like to do, and have training or experience in, preferably both, that people would be willing to pay you to do?.

• John

You are going to have to change the circumstances beyond your control and leave the house.

If it were that easy, wouldn't we all be doing it?

In home daycare and pet sitting.

Not really...no.  

You can make stuff and try to sell it...just be prepared to learn the hard truth...that things made where labor is cheaper will undercut whatever you try to make.  So, you need to make money on this stuff by selling it as a local craft...

Otherwise, you really need to learn or develop skills which people are willing to pay for...