Who is the greatest fiction writer in your opinion?

Broad category, please give a brief explanation.

Charles Dickens for sure. 

Who else alive or dead can write such vivid characters. Our Christmas traditions are in place due to Dickens. We know so much from his writing about the Victorian era. 

• Andrew

There are so many different styles when it comes to fiction. My favourite author is Louis-Ferdinand Céline. I think James Joyce and Vladimir Nabokov were both master prose stylists. I think Henry James and Marcel Proust were brilliant, but I don't like either of them. I think when it comes to some fiction, people either love it or loathe it. I'll never understand how some people can enjoy Faulkner, but hate Hemingway, or how they can say that "Les Misérables" is a good read, but "Le Père Goriot" isn't. Raymond Chandler, Graham Greene and Evelyn Waugh are, to me anyway, far superior to writers like Joseph Conrad or Dickens or Dostoyevsky. It's a matter of opinion really because while talent is quantifiable to a certain extent, the parameters by which we weigh the merits of one work or one author versus another may vary. Obviously Franz Kafka was infinitely more talented than Charles Bukowski, but that doesn't necessarily dictate that most readers prefer Kafka to Bukowski. And every author is hit or miss from time to time. I love Céline with all my heart, but he's got a few clunkers to his credit. I think Shakespeare was probably the greatest author of all time, James Joyce was the greatest of modern times, and Cormac McCarthy is the world's greatest living author. 

• Lv 4
      1 month agoReport

setting plot imagery characters drama suspense mystery pathos intensity excitement intricacy continuity phraseology sympathy characterisation historicity imaginativeness
      adventure flow impact message philosophy morality complexity simplicity accessibility accuracy plausibility surreality structure+

• Zac Z

I'm not sure if this is a question that can be answered in an objective way.

Personally, I'm not sure if I could single out one writer to be "the greatest" but I will say that for me Stephen King is a great writer.

Why? Because I no matter what he writes, it's just interesting to read! I prefer genre fiction over mainstream fiction but even his stories without any speculative elements are nearly impossible for me to put down because I just want to keep reading and reading.

Take "Dolores Claiborne" as an example (that's one with practically no supernatural element). It has no chapters or breaks between paragraphs (which means no "natural" point to stop reading) and while I was reading the novel I really had difficulties to stop because it was just too engaging and, like I said, didn't provide convenient points to stop reading.

I consider SK novels as a treat; I'm almost 100% certain that I will enjoy reading them that I will buy them pretty much blindly.

That's why I consider SK a great writer for me.

King James followed by Joseph Smith

Tough call.

I've found that most of the classics are classic for a reason. They're REALLY good stories (with very few exceptions).

My favorite book is "The Hobbit"...but Tolkien's other works, though very good, don't strike me so much as does that particular work. SO: I can't give him "best" because he was not consistently excellent.

Probably the author

that I have read

that has written the most books that I consider "excellent"

is either Jules Verne

or Isaac Asimov.

Now: Asimov has some mediocre stuff

but I've yet to read a mediocre Verne book

and so I'll have to go with Verne.

Asimov was so prolific (amazingly so)

that he has more "excellent" grade books and short stories than Verne

but that's the result of sheer prolific writing

not of consistently excellent writing.

Honorable mentions (in addition to Tolkien and Asimov):

- Rudyard Kipling

- H G Wells

- James Thurber

- Dr Seuss

- Dickinson

- Poe

- Jack Vance

- Steinbeck (love his "Le Morte" even though it was never completed)

• Silver

Louisa May Alcott. Maybe it's just love and nostalgia, but I've never read one of her books I didn't like. They made Little Women into a movie like 3 times already, that's reaching batman levels.

Eoin Colfer. His writing style is so easy to follow but so complex and he's a literary genius at building massive worlds with fantastic concepts