promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

Why are retail stores adding more self checkouts and cutting back on cashiers?

13 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

Self-checkouts don't demand higher and higher minimum wages, to the point it makes no economic sense to have six cashiers on hand when you can have one cashier overseeing six machines.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Lili
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

For the obvious reason that it saves money.

You really had to ask?

• denise
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Progress apparently!

They're just to cut the wages bill.

Personally I like to use the cash point with a person at it, its more friendly and I don't get frustrated with the self-service till.

• 1 month ago

Its pretty obvious why...are you upset about it?  Its about money...

Just because some people get frustrated by this whole scenario does not imply its bad for business. 

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Judy
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

They're having a hard tine finding qualified people.

• 1 month ago

It's to save on wages but they are rubbish, they malfunction all the time, someone has to come over to fix it, someone has to come over to verify age if you're buying knives, alcohol, 18+ DVDs or anything else that's restricted. I just use a checkout with a person on it, they still have them. Nobody should use the crappy machines then hopefully they'd get rid of them.

• ...Show all comments
    • Casey Y
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

Actually, the Amazon stores are doing pretty good...they wouldnt open the stores if not thoroughly tested.  

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Lots cheaper. Especially in areas where there is not a lot of theft. 

• DEBS
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Cost cutting for sure, but it also gets more people in and out of the store more efficiently improving the customer experience for many.  I find myself going to a large grocery store more often for a few small items b/c I know I can go through self-check quickly instead of standing in line waiting for someone with even just a few items in front of me.  There will always be checkers, but their usefulness is not the same as it once was.

• Nancy
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

To cut costs, apparently. But I'm at the point where I'm all, "Do I want to hassle with driving to the store and then walking 50 yards through parking lot to get inside a store that covers 5 to 10 acres and hunt around for what I want only to get to a check out and monkey around with scanning everything myself and checking myself out only to have to then schlep it all out to my car and drive home and schlep it all inside, or do I want to order it at home online without any of that nonsense and have some guy bring it right to my freaking door?"

Retail's movement towards no service is a disservice to itself because getting a human to actually help you is literally the only thing that they have going for them over vendors like Amazon.

• You don't have to hire, train and pay a machine.

It's faster to use a self check out because you don't have to chit chat with any one, unless you need help. Also machines don't have the attitudes that some cashiers can have.

• Nuff Sed
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

With a human cashier, you also have no obligation to "chit chat with any one".  Cashiers "with attitude" need to find a different career.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.