Can I take a hunting knife to the Redwood forest? I'm thinking of buying a Rambo type knife. I'm afraid of Bears.?

• Rev
    Favorite Answer

Well legally, yes. But it's only legal if openly carried. Also, be aware in nearby towns and cities they may have ordinances prohibiting open carry of knives over a certain length (typically 3 inches).

As far as practicality, I'd say it's not a good idea. A can of bear spray is better, because you can use it from 20 feet away rather than closing in with a several hundred pound bruin (who probably has a longer reach than you, even if you have a knife).

I've hiked and backpacked a lot in bear country, have had a few bear encounters but for the most part they were not scary. Bears are more interested in your food than you. If you store your food properly while camping, you are highly unlikely to have a bear problem.

• You've been watching way too much television and movies. I can already tell The Bears are smarter than you and The Bears will win. Bears are Smarter, Stronger and Faster than you may think and The Wolves will finish off their light work.

Bears.  Imagine the Hulk covered in black or brown fur, with claws like Wolverine and teeth like T-Rex.  Now imagine yourself curled up into a little pain ball on the forest floor...…. if its a black bear it will try to eat you alive.  It's what they do.  You cannot play dead while something is ripping your skin off - the pain so intense you can't remember your own name...… never mind where you strapped the Rambo knife.  Even if you got the knife out - you have to get your head and face close to the bear to hit it.  One paw swipe and you could have an eyeball go off on its own.

A grizzly will try to get it's jaw around your head and squish it like a ripe melon. Or bat you around like a play ball.  You stick it with a knife, even a big one, will just really make it really very mad.  Best to stay rolled up into a pain ball and wait it out.  

• Herman

I am sure Rambo would be pleased.

• C T M

Go to the zoo. Look at what a full grown, full size adult bear looks like. Then look at yourself in the mirror holding a "rambo" knife. 

Now ask yourself, who is going to win that fight. 

Bringing a knife to a potential bear fight... I say do it. If you're serious, any tool is better than none and if you're a troll than the bear will find you delicious.

Of course you can.

HAHAHAHA....Rambo.....HAHAHAHAHA...bears...HAHAHAHA *whew*

Bears haven't seen the Rambo movies.

Thanks for making my day.

• Matt

If all you had to defend yourself from a bear was knife you might as well slit your own throat with it to make your death as quick as possible. You want to defend yourself from bears, I'd suggest bear mace or a boom stick.

Are you kidding?  A bear would chew you into shreds before you could kill it with a knife.  It's not even that easy to kill a bear with a 30.06.