promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

Coworkers jealous I've dropped down to a 4-day week now?

I work on a temporary basis (my choosing). I have been in my office job now for 4 years and have decided to drop down to a 4 day week. I'm 49 and need more time at home now.

I will lose one day’s money a week. My boss said, “Anything you want to do. You're a temp and won't get paid that day......so”.

My other (permanent) co-workers have been a bit ‘off’ with me and I keep getting comments like, “You’re so lucky” or “It’s your Friday today" (being a Thursday) or if I’m tired one day, I get, “Never mind, you’ll have longer weekends now" or, "I couldn't manage financially. How do you do it?" Not sure how to respond to all this?

11 Answers

Relevance
  • drip
    Lv 7
    1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

Your finances and home/family obligations are your private business.  I would not try to justify or explain your actions.

Have a general response.  There are pros and cons, but right now this works for me. 

I am surprised your work schedule is such a topic of conversation. You could offer that as a comment back. 

You may want to ignore the comments and just say oh uh huh.  And change the subject to work. 

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 month ago

I'm not convinced you even need to respond to any of those comments. I think I would just look at them and smile without comment.

Howsoever, you may want to say something to the effect that you are not a full-time permanent employee and this employment is temporary,  which affords you more flexibility, which you are grateful for.

• Pearl
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

sounds like theyre jealous

• 1 month ago

You should respond with professionalism and courtesy.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Steve
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Always remind them of the smaller paychecks.

• Cara
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Maybe they don't understand the full situation. Make it clear by saying "Don't you realise - I only get paid four days a week, so I only work four days a week." Or "Well, I just manage by cutting back a bit."

• 1 month ago

Ultimately, you have done what is right for you and your personal life, and there is no obligation for you to explain your decision to others. If your co-workers continue to comment on your four day week, assertively (not aggressively) ask them to accept your choice and emphasize you have no desire to discuss the matter.

• 1 month ago

That flexibility is one of the few advantages of being a temp worker, even after four years on the job. You're not paid by the week or month.

You don't owe them a lengthy explanation. You can simply say that fortunately your boss is allowing you to work four days, although at a decrease in pay.

• 1 month ago

That's called "conversation". You should respond to it by saying something back.

Source(s): Produced 17 Best-Selling Etiquette Lectures for Pay Per View
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

You're probably the only person who has caused any 'drama' in the office.  Ignore them.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.