I have recently started learning Spanish. I can’t get my brain to associate Hablar with “to speak”. Any tips to help?

I instinctively associate Hablar with “to have” instead, since it looks/sounds like the English word “have”.

Even knowing that Haber means “to have” does not help me break the association with Hablar. The closest I could get to a solution is that Hablar is a bit like babble, i.e. talk, but it’s not an ideal solution. Anyone have any ideas on how I can train my brain to auto-associate this Spanish verb with its English equivalent?

The thing is, Spanish is derived from classical Latin, and many Latin words that begin with 'f' were gradually transmuted in Spanish, over the centuries, to begin with 'h'.

If you think of 'hablar' as 'fablar', and think then of 'fables', or stories, which you 'tell' to people, it should help.

• Gloria

Just keep repeating in your mind "hablar means to speak" over, and over, and over, and over until it sinks in.

• Nancy

Would it help to know that the verb "to have" in Spanish is "haber"? "Tener" is also a verb that means "to have," but so does "haber." If you remember that and knowing that like "to have," it has no L, maybe it'll help you keep "hablar" straight.

Another way to keep the meaning of "hablar" straight would be to know that it is a Spanish transliteration that derives from the Latin word "fabulari," which is the root of the English word "fable," a spoken story passed on by word of mouth. From that, you can also see how the Portuguese word, which Portugal is right next door to Spain, for "hablar" is "falar," so instead of transliterating the F into an H, the B got dropped. Anyway, when you hear "hablar," think "fablar... fable... storytelling."

Remember "blah blah" because it sounds just like it. "Blah blah" is jibberish mocking for speaking.

Associate "blah blah" with "hablar", meaning to speak.