promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

Are there any photos of Earth's spare tire- You know the bulge at the equator?

Is it feet high or kilometers high? The only pictures I have seen show what appears to be a perfect sphere. I want proof dang it!

Update:

Theoretically there is a bulge but if we are incapable of viewing it or proving it then why even ever mention it and yet sure as the sun rises I ALWAYS see people correcting others that Earth is an oblate spheroid like it matters to anyone. What happened to scientists getting proof for things?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

No there isn't. The bulge is slightly more in southern hemisphere because there currently is more water in the southern hemisphere.

The departure from a sphere is about 1/32 of an inch flattening at the geographical poles. It is not going to be detectable on any image of the entire Earth.

Scientists have the data and the proof, but no one can force you to  understand or accept the data, information, analysis and interpretation of that data  if your mind is closed tight. 

• Ride my seesaw
      Lv 6
      1 month agoReport

Don't get huffy that proof is non-existent. My mind is wide open to verifiable data, not conjecture based on a theory which the masses have just accepted as true. Question authority I say. If they can't answer then remain doubtful. Good answer, though!

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 month ago

It is barely noticeable and more gradual than a " Spare Tyre " or Muffin top

Furthermore, about 10, 000 feet would  be the Maximum

Earth is Spherical because Gravity pulls everything towards the Centre of the Earth

Mountains can be no higher than a certain Altittude

The Oblateness is a bulge around South America

Making a Peak in the Andies Range Makes it taller than Everest by Mean Altitude

Attachment image
  • 1 month ago

Earth is almost 8000 miles in diameter on average;  the difference is that it's thicker at the equator (by about 20 miles) than it is through the poles, making a difference of about  20/8000 = 0.25%, which is very difficult to just 'see' in photographs.  

If you had an image of the whole Earth, and it was 10,000 pixels across, from one edge of the Earth to the other, then the difference would only be 25 pixels...  

• 1 month ago

It takes precision long-distance surveys to detect the bulge. Which is what map makers and long-distance airplanes depend on. But as other answers have said, you're not going to see it in a photo.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Clive
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

The joke section is thataway, dear.

• Ride my seesaw
      Lv 6
      1 month agoReport

if you can't answer the question then don't put anything DEAR

• 1 month ago

Earth mean radius is above 6300 km

The difference between polar and equatorial radius is 21 km

So Earth flattening is 1/300

If Irving's basketball was Earth-shaped the radius difference would be 0.4 mm (a fingernail thickness!)

(Kyrie Irving is the NBA flat-earther)

On a 600 pixels full-screen image the "bulge" would be 1 single pixel on each side (600 x 602 image). Hardly noticeable naked eye.

• 1 month ago

The Earth is an oblate spheroid (approximately). The difference in polar versus equatorial radius is just too small to show in a photo, so you'll have to be satisfied with the numbers.

Polar radius: 6,357 km.

Equatorial radius: 6,378 km

Difference = only 21 km (13 miles).

Polar is 0.3% less than equatorial.

• 1 month ago

Think about centrifugal force when you spin something.  Suppose you took a tennis ball and stuck a pencil through it and then spun it on an electric drill.  You can imagine it would bulge out on the sides.  Now make that tennis ball 8000 miles in diameter and made of rock, and spin it at 1 revolution per day.  (That's 0.0007 rpm)  It would still bulge out, but you wouldn't be able to see it, would you?

On earth that bulge is 23 miles (47 km).  That's 1/300 of the diameter of the earth.  If the earth was scaled down to 1 meter in diameter, that's 3mm.  Actually, it's more than I would have thought, but it's still not very much, certainly less than you could easily see.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.