Vaughn asked in PetsCats · 1 month ago

How do I make this cat chill?

I am forstering a 6 year old cat that is extemely weird about certain stuff. He flips for no reason. Ive given him space and basically ignored him for a few days, just letting him get used to my place. He comes to me for attention and gets super excited when i come home. He layed next to me on the bed and was "making biscuits" and purring and i stopped petting him. 30 seconds after i stopped he flipped over with his belly towards me and tagged my hand pretty good but im not sure what set him off. What are some pointers when dealing with a cat that acts like this? Ive been dealing with behavioural cats for a while and id like this to be a more pleasant experience for us both.

• Ken S

You have really dealt with cats before?

He flipped to his belly which shows his complete trust and then went after your hand?

Sounds like he wants to play. Just if he goes hard let your hand go limp.

your cat is not behavioural, just a normal cat who is playign with u and showing u affection. u are the one who needs to chill out

• Vaughn1 month agoReport

He is a very behavioural cat. Hes been at the shelter i work at for almost 2 years and is constantly attacking people. He is not playing. When he slaps at you or lunges it is for blood. Since hes bonding with me at was nowhere near as bad as ive gotten from him before but he just gets set off. 

It's possible that he was over-stimulated. This can happen if you pet his entire body, especially if you pet his whole body numerous times. If that's what you were doing, try petting just his head instead and petting it slowly. Pay attention to body language - their ears, eyes, tails, and posture can tell a lot about whether they're being over-stimulated or annoyed, which can indicate if they might lash out to release some of that energy.

There's always a reason for a cat's behavior. It could also be something else, such as past trauma or a mental/mood/behavioral disorder.

• Nancy

I'm so glad you asked. How you make your cat chill is play him Mr. Cool Cat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smfap8jGh5E

Youtube thumbnail