hoplessly_maia asked in PetsDogs · 3 months ago

I moved out and left my first dog with my parents and I just got a new puppy..?

So my first dog Momo is 12, has cataracts and has only been at my parents house ever besides the occasion boarding, my dad is retired and is always home. I moved out a couple months ago and missed having a dog and just got a puppy. I knew in my heart leaving Momo with my parents was for the best but I can’t help but feel a little guilty now. Doesn’t help with how my family is about “forgetting her,” when that’s not the case. I love my dog to death and I know I’m gonna be destroyed when she crosses the rainbow bridge, and I love the new puppy. Has anyone else done this? 

I can see where you are coming from; I have a companion animal (a cat) who is getting on in years. He's seventeen, I've had him since he was a kitten. He's starting to want to be left alone more and more and struggles to respond like he used to when I have anxiety attacks. I did get a new kitten to start getting her used to being a companion animal. I still have my old man and will till he passes and he still tries to be a comfort when I need him. I think it's a bit of stress off both of us to have a younger cat in the house.

Short answer - No, I've never done anything like that!   However, leaving your first dog in familiar surroundings, with people he knows, and especially if your dad is always home, is nothing to feel any guilt about.  Moving him out, and probably having to spend time alone in unfamiliar surroundings would have been

However, I'm not sure about taking on a new puppy - not enough info. about your current circumstances to be sure you've done the right thing there.

So you should feel guilt for throwing your old dog on the scrapheap dogs are for life they're not disposable items:

Didn't your family get the dog? So it's not YOUR dog since you were a child.

Just hope you adopted this dog and can afford to care for it. You sound VERY young and immature.

• patty

I usually wait for a pet to die before I get another one.

• Larry

No. Do you ever think that your first dog misses you and if you showed up again in his life, he'd run to you. You are his father, You should feel guilty. You dumped who was once your baby on your parents because he was getting old. I have 2 dogs, litter mates that are 15, or 16. Whenever I'm gone and come home, they act like I've been gone forever. They scream and bark and don't leave me alone.

• Verulam 1

Not at all.   This dog, as I read it, has ALWAYS been where he is now and OP has no reason to feel guilty about leaving him with people he knows and in familiar surroundings.

I've done it loads of times. I left my parents with my old dog because they thought I sucked at taking care of it.