Anonymous
Anonymous asked in EnvironmentConservation · 5 months ago

is it legal to send a dead dog out to sea? Pet burials are illegal in our HOA?

We have a major problem, our neighborhood HOA and city code forbid pet burials in the yard.

We could put the dog in an old Violin Cello Case, decorate the cello case with flowers and such and put it on one of those vinyl inflatable swan floaties and take it to the mouth of the harbor where swift outgoing tides will sweep it far out to sea.

Will this be a legal way to deal with a dead dog?

I think the harbor currents are swift and strong enough to get it far enough out to sea for the gulf stream to carry it far away from land. The ocean gyre will then pull it far far out to sea. We can lash the case shut with thick zip ties, and the case is made of hard plastic which shouldnt decay. The case should be strong enough to keep eagles, vultures, hawks, gulls, sharks and whales from getting a bite of the dog.

The case would also be filled with Ethanol in order to "pickle" the remains and prevent all that nasty rot and decomposition. Would this prevent all that environmentally unfriendly decomposition and rot. 

We would also caulk the case shut with epoxy so it becomes a hermetically sealed vessel that will keep bugs out so if anyone cares about little shrimp and such, they will be unable to get to the remains.

The case will contain ballast weights so it will sink to the bottom as soon as the floaty deflates. 

The floaty will become a haven for wild birds to use the flowers for nectar, and a nesting place for sea birds and a rest stop for migratory birds until it eventually springs a leak and finally sinks with its payload to the deepest of deeps. This much cheaper than cremation, and seems like the most eco friendly option.

• kswck2

Dispose of the body as you see fit, for now it is only an empty shell.

Klingon saying. 

It's a dead animal.. put it in a plastic bag and drop in the garbage bin. IT will get buried free that way.

'or send it to China or another Asian Country.. They will throw it on the BBQ and have lunch.

• Dale-E

My first thought is to burry it in your own back yard, without ceremony. HOAs are all about ceremony, which are social events, such as they are. What you do in the privacy of your own home is your own business. Is it not, aye? Then when you need to sell the place, be smart, and remove your markers before you show it. Don't foist your life history on the buyer. 

• Sammy

Eat it. That's recycling.

Not if it's in international waters. I would go out to gamble in the casinos because it was in international waters so I am sure you can have a burial at sea of a beloved pet. The question is how far do you have to go out in the ocean until you are officially in international waters. I was never told that when I went. I just knew when the casino was opened that I was no longer in the jurisdiction of the United States. People are buried at sea off vessels all of the time. Check with your local coast guard in your jurisdiction. Good luck and Godspeed.

Why don’t you just get it cremated. When my cat died, I took him to the vet. The vet stored him in the cold room until the next day when the guy came to pick him up to be cremated. Then his ashes were sent by mail back to me. 

No, probably not but cremation would be.

Only after cremation.  And no container.  There is enough garbage and plastic in the ocean already.

maybe you can have some vet have it cremated

Not sure if you're trolling or not, but if this is a legitimate question, bury the dog in the back yard.   Unless your houses are right on top of each other, who the hell is going to know?