kara asked in TravelAir Travel · 1 month ago

Worth it to pick seats on a transatlantic flight?

It's an Iberia flight, JFK to MAD on an A340. I'd really like a window seat to be able to lean my head on something and to see out the window, but is it worth the $37 each way to do it? If I only did it one way, which way would you suggest? I'm flying by myself so I don't have to worry about being seated with anyone. Any tricks for Iberia flights in general? Thanks!

• I would pay for the middle seat for long haul the middle seat is your best bet 

• JuanB

Check a seating map for the A340.  If a window is your main concern, then I would pick a seat, as configurations I see have fewer % of window seats.  But also fewer % of middle seats.  Whereas for me, I probably wouldn't as there a lot of great seats.

If you are considering doing it one way only, I would do it on your first flight.  You want to be comfortable to be more refreshed for you whole trip.  Plus you might gain in-flight information that makes you change your mind on doing it both ways anyway.  But I would also check the first flight to see how booked it is overall as well as window seats taken.  If booking is low, you might want to just risk skipping the seat selection.

Yes, it is worth $37 to be able to choose your seat:

www.seatguru.com

• Bill-M

Flying long Haul.   Pick an Isle Seat in the middle section.  With a Wall behind the Seat

Larger airlines seats are arranged  3-4-3   Meaning =  Window / Middle / isle then 4seats in the middle section then the same on the other side  -  Isle Middle window.

If you set by the Window and have to go to the toliet you have to climb over people and if you set on the isle they have to climb over you.   in the Middle section you could get luck and have an empty seat next to you and the other two people can go the other way and not over you.   If all four seats are full you would only have One person to deal with. Windows:   Nothing to look at during the flight except clouds.

Wall behind the Seat is good because no one behind you kicking the seat.

Guess what?

If you WANT something then you PAY for it.

Only you can decide if having the view is worth about $8.00 per hour.

Nothing special about Iberia planes.

Depending on flight time and time of year you may what to have a view of sunrise/sunset. Which side that is on depends on winter or summer flight.

There are websites to figure it out for your flight day..

• MS

You'll probably be in a middle seat if you don't pay to choose a seat.  Only you can decide whether the cost is worth avoiding that.

it is if thats what you want

Only you can decide if it's worth it or not.

That's not a bad price really

If you don't pick a seat, odds are good you'll get stuck with a center seat.  I flew from Pittsburgh to Heathrow last summer with a middle seat.  It really, really sucked.  The guy to my right was overweight and wore his big puffy coat the entire flight.  The guy on my right hogged the armrest.  I had to keep both arms in my lap the whole flight.  I had serious back and shoulder pain upon landing.  I'd pay for the window or aisle seat.  Otherwise it's a gamble on a miserable flight.

• Lisa A

If you don't, you will be stuck in a middle seat.