Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsOutdoor RecreationHunting · 1 month ago

How can I get through to my sister that she needs to not tell people I own a gun?

She is 20.  I own my firearm legally but don’t feel comfortable announcing that I own one to the world because 1. It’s best not to let everyone know what you are armed with 2. I don’t want anyone breaking in to steal them and 3. It’s no ones business.  

She also tells people things that don’t sound responsible and in inappropriate ways when she is trying to show off- for example, my boyfriend found out I own a gun when she told him that she woke from a nightmare one night and wanted to get my gun because she hadn’t realized it was a dream.  Not how I wanted him to find out and not a good story to share IMHO. 

And that Kiddies was your

bedtime

fairy story from old Uncle Total Bol~~locks!

• Herman

Your first mistake was letting her know you have a firearm.  As Zday said tell her

you sold it to Jake from State Farm and then keep it hidden from prying eyes.

• Adam D

Sibling relationships are often complicated.  We probably can't fix your family dynamics for you.  Like with any relationship, communication is the most important thing.  You need to sit down with your sister and talk to her about the issue, make it clear to her what information is intended to be out there for anyone and what is meant to be information that only the two of you share.

Now you know she cant be trusted with sensitive information. Tell her you got tired of her telling everyone about it and you got rid of it. Them stash it in a well hidden quick access lockbox.

You don't want her telling people but I bet you really don't want her attempting to use it without training/supervision especially in a true emergency situation.

Best way for two people to keep a secret is if one of them is dead..

• Mr.357

Tell her friends that she has a whole closet full of sex toys, only dates guys that are into abnormal sex, spread rumors about her that you think would embarrass her, and let everyone know when aunt flo comes to visit and warn them that she is VERY difficult to deal with.  P.S.  If your boyfriend cares that you have a firearm or doesn't have one of his own, DUMP HIM.

• Rick

Perhaps you need to learn to be a little more discrete in the sharing of your personal information.  No one in my family knows that I own or carry firearms simply because it's not their business and I don't feel compelled to share.

Just counter by telling everyone she owns a d1ldo or two.

If you haven't stored your gun in a lock box, you are breaking the law in California. And I'm guessing in other States as well. If you don't have a lock box, get one. You can get a good one for $100 or less. Go online.

Last thing you want, from all sorts of perspective, is for your sister, your boyfriend, or any other unauthorized person to have access to that gun.

Have you thought about inviting your sister to tag along to a shooting range? Maybe she should have some gun-safety instruction as long as there is a gun in the house. The NRA gives good instructions for gun safety.

And yes you hear it here...a liberal giving advice to go to the NRA for instruction. BTW I also own a gun...for self-defense and I got my gun safety instruction from the shooting range that I belong to.

• Adam D
      1 month agoReport

Actually, only one state (and it isn't California!) requires guns be stored in a locked box under all circumstances.  Only a handful have laws specifying that sometimes it be locked up.

• abdul

I think you better have a talk with your sister, and find a place to hide or lock that gun up. She seems to think it is hers too.

• Rick

got me on that one    .................................  good luck.