Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 1 month ago

Forced to give my SSN in the ER, What can I do now?

Yesterday I was in the ER with horrible pain in my abdomen, I lady employee probably for the billing dept. asked me for my SSN, I did not want to give her my number, I gave her my id in the hope that she let me alone, but after that she continue to push for my SSN implying that they would not treat me if I do not provide them the number. She was so rude that she continue asking no matter other persons presence. At the end I had to write it down for her. Now I am thinking about it and wonder what can I do about it.

ok, let me clarify some things here for some people here.

1. I tell the lady that I do not want to give my SSN for security reason...do you understand the concept or the meaning of identity thief after data breaches in hospitals?...I was in no way rude, I was in big pain.

2. That was before they made any study to know what problem I had.

3. That was after they put an IV in my arm and took blood and urine samples

4. She did not have any concern about my information because there was paramedic guy asking question to my family member for a survey and she did not care that he was in front when she asked for my ssn and she saw that I have problem disclosing this information for security matters.  At the end I have to write down in a paper so anyone in the ER does not hear my SSN.

5. I have no medicare or medicaid, I have private insurance.

• Foofa

What you can do is wait for your bill and pay it. The reason they ask is because hospitals are ripped off to the tune of billions and it's not fair for some to skip their debts thus raising prices for all of us.

They use your SSN to attach any unpaid debts/medical bills to YOUR name.

You can't "do" anything about it.

Identity theft rarely happens in hospitals.  There are many protocols in place to protect records and IDs.

Doesnt matter if you have insurance.  If insurance doesnt pay it.. You are responsible for the debt.

You can't DO anything about it, even if what happened were illegal.

What can you do about it? You can be thankful they treated you.

The hospital has the right to ask you what your social security number is.

But yet I am betting if you get an email saying you won a million dollars you would have no problem providing it then

• xyzzy

Do about what? The hospital had a llegitimate need for you SSN.

Nothing, they required it for treatment, so they can come after you if you do not pay.

That's an issue with Medicare. Your Medicare ID is in fact your SSN. So billing needs that to verify and get Medicare coverage for your ER treatment.

I'm betting you were rude first when you refused to give it to her.

• oldprof
      1 month agoReport

Ah, mea culpa, I forgot about the new Medcare cards.  They indeed have something other than the SSN on them.  That something is called an index in IT talk and it points to, ta da, the corresponding SSN that is in the Medicare server file.  My point, they still use the SSN to identify the member.

no one forced you.... if your condition was an "emergency" they are legally required to treat you.

• Brandyliz1 month agoReport

and how do you know it was not an emergency?

You can move on with your life because you can't change the past.

Oh, I get it. You think you have grounds for a law suit. Sorry Pal … you don't. First no one forced you to give up the information. You chose to do so to avoid having to seek care elsewhere and the truth is that if your care was really necessary, the hospital would have treated you regardless. It is time to put the whole experience in your rearview mirror.

• linkus86
      1 month agoReport

No, force is when a choice does not exist.  The asker had a choice to seek care elsewhere if the hospital refused to offer it, which I truly doubt they would for all sorts of liability issues.

Send some of your feces in the mail. That’ll teach them... and get you jail time.