promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

Do you still get medicaid if you make over the income limit, but you're spending all of it on long term care?

I read that in my state there's like an income limit of 16k/year to qualify for medicaid...

what if you make over that,

like 40k/year....

but a nursing home can cost 100k/year,

if you make 40k, but you're spending all of it ---- do you still get medicaid to pay for the rest of it?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

Yes, but only after you first use up (spend down) all of the assets that you already have.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

I don't know where you live but my wife was in a very good long term care facility and it cost about $40,000 a year.

• Eva
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Depends on what other assets you have. You are expected to exhaust most of your other resources to pay for your care. Once those are gone, you may qualify. There's a 5 year look back period where they examine your bank records to see who you may have given money/assets to during that time. They treat those transfers as if they never existed and it adds to the waiting period for medicaid to kick in. Get assistance from the social worker at the nursing home or your local office for aging.

• 1 month ago

If you are OLD enough for a nursing home, you don't get MEDICAID at all. You would have switched to MEDICARE. In addition, if you need a nursing home, you CAN'T be earning $40,000/year.

Update to comment: Regardless of what Medicare covers, once you are old enough to qualify, you DON'T qualify for Medicaid. Your comment is LESS informed than you claim my answer is.

• curtisports2
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

Wrong. Medicare does NOT cover long term nursing care. It covers short term rehabilitative care in full for 20 days and with coinsurance for up to 100. People who exhaust their assets and need a nursing home go on Medicaid, and they can indeed qualify with income of $40k+ by assignment of income.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

It uses your Adjusted Gross Income, thus you could be eligible unless your assets are too high.

• 1 month ago

If you are spending for your own long-term nursing care, you assign your income to the state, minus a small allowance for personal needs, and the state, through Medicaid, assumes the cost of your care. This is how people stay in nursing homes when their lifetime savings run out.  Any pension and Social Security income they have is assigned to the state. Medicaid, while federal, is run individually in every state, and in some states, the assignment of income may be made directly to the care facility, with the state paying the facility for the balance of the cost.

If you are spending all of your income to pay for someone else's care, no, you don't qualify for Medicaid.  You are making a choice to do that.

• 1 month ago

That's what family is for taking care of family not the government paying for it.

• 1 month ago

Luis,

Based on your other questions, you don't live in the USA.  Is "my state" the state of delusion?

What kind of person has $40K in earned income but lives in a nursing home?

• 1 month ago

You still do not qualify for medicaid. I don't see how you would be in a nursing home and also making 40K a year anyway.

• curtisports2
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

People have pensions and SS retirement of more than $40k a year and are receiving state Medicaid to pay for their long term nursing care. They must assign that income to either the facility or the state. With the average monthly cost well over $10k now, life savings can quickly run out.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.