Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingPregnancy · 1 month ago

Do you think four baby showers is a bit excessive? ?

My friend is having a baby and she’s having FOUR baby showers. I just think that’s a bit excessive. I’ve been invited to 3 of them. One is here where we currently live, the 2nd is in her hometown, the 3rd is with her church and the 4th is apparently with her work. Now, I don’t know how many of these baby showers SHE planned or what but buying 3 baby gifts and such can get costly. A lot of our other close friend feel it’s a bit “tacky” I don’t feel that way but it just seems costly. Would it be wrong of me to spend a little more on a nice gift and only attend 1 shower? 

• LizB
    Favorite Answer

I think it's a bit much, but if other people are planning these showers for her and all she's doing is attending, then who cares if her friends/coworkers seem to enjoy a party? I'd say she's lucky to have so many caring people in her life.

But no, you do not have to attend all 4 showers and you certainly don't need to buy her 4 gifts. One gift is sufficient, and if you're invited to more than one shower but only wish to attend one, that is perfectly fine, too.

not at all in my opinion

Bring a gift to one. Go to the others if you like. Different people may give her showers, you of course get her one gift.

• edward

My wife had 2. One for each side of the family and friends. We registered at Babies R Us. We didn’t expect someone who attended with a gift to have more gifts if they came to the second one. Usually what i do is i buy a laundry basket a bunch if smaller/ medium size gifts and wrap them all up in the laundry basket with cellophane. Looks nice and it’s easy

you must be from some boring suburb  or sheltered bubble small town

most working  people in  cities have no time for such nonsense 

It's pretty common, in my experience.   Particularly since one is her church.  Often each side of the family throws one, and work.  Then you add in church.  That's logical.  You are not required to attend every shower (or even a single shower), nor are you required to send a gift if you don't attend.   Personally, I think it's far more tacky to gossip about her online than it is for her to accept multiple shower offers.   It sounds like she's allowed the hostesses to give guests options of which they can attend, which is a GOOD thing.

If people want to hold them for her (she's not supposed to organizer her own), it's up to them.  you can go to as many as you want.

If it's not clean enough by the second shower , it probably won't get any cleaner anyway (?)

• MissA

That does seem a bit much.

I'd say it's fine to attend only one of those. Particularly the work one... I've never attended a work baby shower that had anybody else present but colleagues and *maybe* the husband. And you have no obligation to spend any more money than you were going to anyway.

If people are choosing to host them for her, it's not tacky.

If she is planning them, yes, of course it is.

You are free to choose one to attend and it isn't wrong at all.