klara asked in PetsFish · 1 month ago

Is it possible that my female and male betta fish don’t like each other but still want to breed?

He regularly flares at her and she VERY quickly swims away. I’m not completelysure but i think her fins are a bit hurt from swimming away and bumping in to the rocks on the floor. But the most confusing thing is that I just woke up to a bubble nest. I thought “Uu maybe he changed his mind and they’re all cuddly and stuff.” well, he still flares at her and she still seems so uncomfortable and scared. BUT WHAT THE HELL DOES THE BUBBLE NEST MEAN?

• Bort

An animal builds a nest in preparation of breeding. 

He is ready to breed.

He has built a nest and is displaying to attract a mate.

She is not yet ready to breed and so is trying to kerp away.

He could injure or even kill her.

Best to keep seperate until she is ready to breed unless in a very large tank with plenty of hiding spots.

• Jack H

Read my other answer... fish don't *like* each other, they breed, if you woke to a bubble nest they've probably bred already, you missed a very interesting sight, if she seems thinner and is trying to stay out of his way, be careful, after breeding he will drive her off, maybe even damage or kill her to protect the nest and young, good luck...