promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationMaintenance & Repairs · 1 month ago

Does copper, platinum, double platinum or iridium provide better fuel economy and performance?

Looking to replace both the ignition coils and existing spark plugs with either copper, platinum, double platinum or iridium spark plugs. But I don't know which one will provide better fuel economy, acceleration and higher speeds on the freeway.

Update:

It's for a 2002 BMW E53 XD.

16 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

None of the above.  Spark plugs don't have anything to do with fuel economy or engine power, they just ignite the air-fuel mixture in the cylinders.  That's all they do.

Higher quality plugs and coils will have no effect on your engine's performance, but they will last longer.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 month ago

Put a set of iridium, The set will last 100,000 miles.

• 1 month ago

I have some Autolite entry level platinum pugs on my old truck and they worked out great. Much better than the old school copper plugs. If you like blowing huge amounts of money on spark plugs, then the sky is the limit. I've never set an engine code by using less expensive spark plugs.

• Ron
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

None will improve mileage or performance. A spark plug has one task, to ignite the fuel/air mixture at the correct time. Your one task is to put the correct spark plugs in, according to the manufacturers specs.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

Probably there is not a lot of difference. But, iridium will never have to be replaced.

• 1 month ago

Spark plugs don't give you more power or better fuel economy. They all work the same in your motor. The only difference is you have to replace them at different time tables.

Copper every 30,000 miles

Platinum and Double Platinum every 60,000 miles

Iridium every 100,000 miles.

Source(s): Mitsubishi Master Tech
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

Put a set of iridiums.  The set will last 100,000 miles.  It will be the LAST SET of plugs on your vehicle. 

• Anton
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

Zip.  Nada.  Nothing.  What matters is the timing and size of the spark, and is a matter of the coil/etc..

The whatever metal for the spark *may* lessen the wear, allowing you use the sparks for longer.

• Jay P
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Forget the marketing hype from various spark plug manufacturers.  Unless the current plugs in the engine are so worn out at this point, you won't notice any difference in either fuel economy nor performance.

• ...Show all comments
    • Jay P
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

Again, assuming the current plugs are still in good shape, you will not notice a difference.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

I doubt there would be any discernible difference in performance with any particular plug. I would probably buy standard Bosch as they will be the original fitment.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.