promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
M asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 2 months ago

What did Jackie Fisher have to do with German history?

He was discussed in my class and im still not sure who he is and how he connects to German history. Hes the only person I forgot

5 Answers

Relevance
  • xyzzy
    Lv 7
    2 months ago
    Favorite Answer

Do you mean John Arbuthnot Fisher, 1st Baron Fisher, commonly known as Jacky or Jackie Fisher, who was a British Admiral of the Fleet known for his efforts at naval reform.  The argumentative, energetic, reform-minded Fisher is often considered the second most important figure in British naval history, after Lord Nelson.

. When appointed First Sea Lord in 1904, he removed 150 ships then on active service which were no longer useful and set about constructing modern replacements, creating a modern fleet prepared to meet Germany during the First World War.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • not at all in my opinion

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Jackie Fisher, as an Admiral and "First Sea Lord" of the British Navy, was responsible for the development of the HMS Dreadnought - a then-state-of-the-art battleship. This innovation inspired Germany to develop a competitive class of warships and lead directly to the naval arms race and quest for naval superiority that set both nations on a military collision course.

• Phil
    Lv 5
    2 months ago

He was instrumental in Britain's participation of the naval race with Germany just prior to WWI

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

Admiral Jackie Fisher?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.