promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

Which theory best explains why there were witchcraft trials in the 1690s?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

The Salem witch trials were a series of hearings and prosecutions of people accused of witchcraft in colonial Massachusetts between February 1692 and May 1693. The episode is one of Colonial America's most notorious cases of mass hysteria. It has been used in political rhetoric and popular literature as a vivid cautionary tale about the dangers of isolationism, religious extremism, false accusations, and lapses in due process. According to historian George Lincoln Burr, "the Salem witchcraft was the rock on which the theocracy shattered."

• ...Show all comments
    • Anita1 month agoReport

In the end Salem was even believed to be possessed. By the end of 1692 twenty people had been executed for witchcraft.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 month ago

That would be the theory of public panic, which still happens today.

Don't believe me?  Walk up to any global warming protester and ask them why solar activity isn't included in their statistics.  Better yet, walk into any gender studies classroom wearing a MAGA hat.

• Mr. P
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

It became profitable because all assets of the "witches" were forfeit to the accusors. The witchfinder general and the law courts made a handsome profit from it. The church supported the frenzy as it was profitable for them too.

Books written by clergymen the Malleus Maleficarum 1486 - hammer of the witches was significant in the persecution as it gave some weight to the extermination.

Unfortunately "A discourse of the damned art of witchcraft" published in 1610 may have added to this. As it was written by my family ancestor I am truly sorry for the persecution. He actually wrote it as a journal but never published it during his lifetime. It was only found and published some 8 years after his death.

• 1 month ago

Religion and ergot fungus poisoning. Ergot fungus produces LSD. This explains why all the religious visions reported and identical to the hallucination reported by LSD users.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

Religion, there are still people that would like to do that.  In Saudi Arabia they still execute people for witchcraft.

• Brian
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

Religious Moron's.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Some a$shole added "Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live" in the Bible. 

So from then on, witches were anyone resembling doctors or midwives. People with unorthodox remedies or seemed weird.

• ...Show all comments
    • Lv 5
      1 month agoReport

Ah. 2 are evil so kill them all. Got it. My point is I don't think this text was part of the original scrolls. 🥴 Was added on.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Stupid religious leaders.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.