promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 1 month ago

Why does my chicken soup always turn out cloudy? Am I leaving too much meat on the bones?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

Chicken broth is fairly clear but not the soup.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 month ago

It’s your stock. If you want clear stock it’s a long, slow simmer with minimal bubbling, just around the edges, then you strain carefully.

I suggest you google how to make a clear stock.

I’m not usually too concerned about my stock being clear, but if I do want a clear stock I don’t stir it AT ALL and never let it boil. The activity of things moving around is what makes your stock cloudy.

• Janet
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Chicken broth WILL be cloudy UNLESS you turn it into consomme.

In order to do that, you must chill the broth overnight in the fridge, and the next day skim off about 2/3 of the hardened fat.

Then put the broth on the stove top, adding one egg white and the crushed egg shell, and stir constantly but slowly for about 30-40 minutes as it slowly comes to a boil.

As SOON as it boils, remove the pot from the heat, and strain it through 3 layers of cheese cloth.

Don't be alarmed if it looks gross before it is strained. All those sand-sized grains of egg white make the heating broth look pretty awful.

Once you have strained it, you now have consomme. It will have a rich depth of flavor and be clear ... and when it is cold it will be gelled until you reheat it again . don't be alarmed at that either.

• 1 month ago

Because you're not clarifying it! After you cook your chicken soup take your chicken soup and put it in the refrigerator with the lid on it let it get cold it will grow grease and a skin on top of the liquid. Take that grease and that skin off of the top of the liquid and your chicken soup will be clear.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • hamel5
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

If you're making your own stock -   put your chicken into a pot and quickly  bring to a boil , then strain it and start over with clean , cold water. 

As C says,  when making the stock or the soup - simmer , don't boil 

• C
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

It's because you're allowing it to boil.  If you're making stock you can either clarify it after the fact or take especially care to avoid boiling at all costs.  The hard way to clarify cloudy stock is where you strain it and then play around with crushed eggshells and egg whites (see google), or the easy way where you strain it, freeze it and then pour the clear liquid through a coffee filter as it thaws.  It will be crystal clear though you lose the gelatine.  The other method is to never let the stock get above the odd lazy bubble breaking the surface.  This method works but it's very easy to accidentally let it reach the boil since it takes a long time.

If you want to serve the meat on the bones lift out the carcass before the meat us overcooked.  Strip it off, cut into pieces if necessary and reserve until just before serving. Put the bones back in the pot and keep going.  Usually the liquid has to evaporate down 1/3 - 1/2 before you get a good flavour.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.