promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceCredit · 1 month ago

I think my dad messed up my credit ?

So im 17 and i live with my dad and my little sister. A while ago my dad set up cable in my name because he couldn't do it in his. I thought it would be okay. But i didn't know that it would start my credit. Well he was always late on payments between like a month or 2 but eventually it would all get paid. This time it is taking longer then expected because now we owe our cable company roughly 500 we canceled our cable so that we don't get charged anymore. But if he waits longer to pay it. Will my credit score go down? Or will i have bad credit when i do turn 18 which is in a couple more months? 

14 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

Act now. You may need to talk with a lawyer firs, see if one will give you a free 30 minutes. By law, you cannot be held to contracts you enter into. People mistakenly believe that minors cannot enter into contracts. That is false, they can. But there is something called the Statute of Frauds that says that contracts entered into by minors cannot legally be enforced against them (except in certain situations, such as when you are an emancipated minor). Your credit file cannot begin until you are 18 because you cannot legally be forced to pay bills you create.

And you did not create this one - an adult did. Very possibly this is an act of criminal fraud, possibly also identity theft. Your father can potentially face criminal charges. You can be out in a few months, but what about your sister, if he is facing criminal charges?

This is why speaking to a lawyer is a good idea. You may be told to write a letter to the cable service provider - and send it by certified mail with proof of delivery. In it, you state that your name and identity were used by your father to open the account. Tell them that you are a minor of 17 and that the law prevents them from enforcing the debt against you. It would be a good idea to get a copy of your birth certificate - something you should have and keep anyway - and send them a photocopy as proof of your age. Tell them to go after your father, and tell them that if they pursue you for this debt and they damage your future credit rating beginning when you turn 18, that you will hold them civilly liable for that damage. This is a nice way of telling them that you will sue the hell out of them. Give them 10 days to respond and tell them that if you don't hear from them in writing within ten days, you will be turning the matter over to an attorney. At that point, if you do get a lawyer involved and you need to sue, you ask for your legal expenses to be paid as part of the lawsuit.

A lawyer might tell you that you will need to call the police to report your father for what he did to you, but the lawyer might also say that if the cable provider wants to involve the police, they can do it. You really should talk to a lawyer first. And do it now. If you turn 18 before there is some resolution, it may still get resolved in your favor - because the problem started when you were a minor - but it may be more difficult.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 month ago

You cannot be held to a contract entered into as a minor.

• 1 month ago

" I thought it would be okay."  That makes you a party to fraud.  Yes, your credit is now bad.

• Judy
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Yes this will stay on your credit

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

Go online to the credit bureau and report that this is not your charge report that you are underage and did not make this bill. Prove to the credit bureaus before you're 18 that you're not legally old enough to have a debt in your name and they'll have to remove it.

• A
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Your father has screwed up your credit and you let him do it.  You will need to either get him to pay off the balance or pay it yourself, and do not allow him to use your credit for anything else

• 1 month ago

If you are lucky, then you will have no credit. At your age, having good credit is almost impossible, and having no credit can actually be much worse than having bad credit.

If he has started your credit, somehow, then no matter how bad it is, you can eventually build it up to be good. Meanwhile, others who don't have any credit will still be stuck having no credit, because it's almost impossible to start it yourself.

In theory, you may be able to get this bill removed from your credit, but don't until after you have gotten something better onto your credit. If you get it removed and there is nothing left on your credit, then you are permanently screwed, because although you can slowly improve bad credit and make it good, there is almost nothing that can be done if you don't have anything on your credit.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

You need to:

1)  Report your father for identity theft and fraud by filing a police report;

2)  Put a fraud alert on your social security number at all three credit bureaus (equifax, transunion and experian); and

3)  Call the cable company, let them know you were a victim of identity theft/fraud, provide them with a copy of the police report, tell them you are just a teenager and insist that you are not responsible for any of the charges. 

Your dad is an **** and needs to deal with the consequences of his actions.   No, they won't throw him in jail. 

• Tj
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Let the cable company know that you are a minor, and he used your information. Get a free credit check and see if he used your info for anything else. put a flag on your credit reports ....best to talk to them.

• 1 month ago

Cable companies don't report late payments to the credit bureaus. If they sell the debt to a collection company it might though. The collection company may well report it to them.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.