Why do people say they "could care less"?

It means the opposite of what they think it means.

• Vivian

“The phrase “I couldn't care less” means that people really don't care about something, they care so little that it isn't possible to care any less. Why do Americans frequently say “I could care less” to mean the same thing? It just doesn't make any sense and I don't know how people keep a straight face.”

• guy1 month agoReport

because they don't give af.

We don;t need another ******* grammar nazi. Guess what I don't give a **** about you,

• bluebellbkk
      1 month agoReport

This is nothing to do with grammar. There is nothing grammatically wrong with 'I could care less'. It simply makes no sense.

• Zirp

They think that "there" language is the world-language and that the world has to adapt to how they use it.

• Kate

Te expression is "couldn't care less" meaning they don't care about anything, or at least couldn't care about what is going on at the time.

I believe this stems simply from a mis-hearing of the original "I couldn't care less". Sadly it's now accepted in American English as standard, even though it's demonstrably illogical.

Obviously it means, "I care so little that it would be impossible for me to care any less. I could not care any less even if you paid me."

EDIT to add: At least "I could care less", even if inaccurate, isn't quite as ludicrously wrong as the very common version, "I could careless".

• bluebellbkk
      1 month agoReport

I'm afraid this ghastly locution is all too common, Andrew K. And of course they've never thought about what they're saying - but many of them insist, even when you explain, that 'I could care less' is MORE emphatic than 'I couldn't care less' - unbelievable!

Weird Al does a great job of that in his video "Word Crimes"

They think it's a double negative, see https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=Ah5D...

• Lôn

I find that it's Americans who tend to say that. British people say "I couldn't care less!"

• Andrew K1 month agoReport

And most Australians get it right. Although we’re starting to go down the American path, unfortunately. 

• Robin

the phase is couldNT care less

• bluebellbkk
      1 month agoReport

Yes, that's the point. A huge number of people genuinely don't realise that.

"couldnt care less"... meaning they dont care what you think.   the person who says that usually already being sure of what they have decided.