Anonymous

My girlfriend can’t keep a job and has failed out of college three times now?

Is it justifiable for my to break up with her? 

She just failed out of college for the third time recently. She just wouldn’t do her homework. She still lives with her parents so I try to ask how her schoolwork is doing every week and she always says she’s “studying” but I don’t believe her. Sometimes it would take her 5-10 hours just to do a homework assignment that was 10 multiple choice questions. Whenever I helped her on her homework, we would complete it within 15-20 minutes. But whenever I let her do it on her own, she was constantly “stressed” about how much homework she had to do and would “work on it all day long for 5-10 hours” to do the same 10-15 multiple choice questions. I even had to do her homework for her on many occasions because I wanted her to at least get a C in her classes so she wouldn’t flunk out, but she gets like a 20 percent on her exams and me doing her homework and getting A’s on her homework assignments can’t nullify flunking all of her exams

She is 26 years old 

DUMP her and move on.

You need a new girlfriend. She is a looser

It sounds like y'all are on different paths right now. That's okay, but it's not sustainable for a lifetime. I don't know how "long-term" you are thinking this relationship is going to be. Are you looking toward marriage? If so, then you need to have a serious conversation and discuss your plans. If you're a highly accomplished individual that is always looking to excel in areas of life (faith, career, family), then you need to lay that out for her, explaining that. Then, if she doesn't feel like that is something she is looking for (it sounds like it's not), then you need to explain that you need to move on. She isn't sure of what to do, so she's not doing anything. That's a dangerous trap to fall into--and no matter how hard or how long you try, you can never fully motivate someone to get up and do something for themselves. It has to be a  choice, all on their own. Best of luck to you. 

girl has difficulty in the motivation dept,,time for her to leave the hen coop,w a jay oh bee,,you tie yourself to her,a lifetime of ball & chain for you to  drag around

I think you should talk to her. Obviously an education is worth something to you and maybe seeing her fail or lack of trying is affecting you negatively. 

One thing I will say is maybe take a deep breathe and try to find the good versus all the bad. It's hard when someone you love is stressed and you're stressed as well but if she doesn't want to go to college right this second then tell her to take time off. 

I'm almost 26 and I started college and stopped several times because it was stressful and wasn't the right place for me at the time. School isn't right for everyone and if she doesn't want to go to school then figure out if you are okay with that decision or not. 

In my opinion, I think there are women who don't want to go to college. I know, for a fact there are women who have gone to college.

I attended three different colleges, and I had three different majors. Believe it, or not, but I took a course that was filled up with women at college, but I ended up flunking out from that program. I was surrounding by mostly women, and even most of my college professors were women too. I did drop out from another college, and course that I took. I am a male by the way.

Anyway I did graduate from college when I was 21 years old, and it was the very first college I attended. I spent as much time as I needed to study, so I can learn, and after I graduated from college I realized there was still a lot I didn't know about what I wanted to learn about, so I studied a lot more on my own.

Lastly it's your life, so if you want to break up with her then that's your choice to make.

Here's my spin on it. If you can't be proud of a partner, it's impossible to actually love a partner as pride is a first step towards love.

You clearly have no pride in her; ditch her. Find someone who you can be proud of.

• oldprof
      1 month agoReport

Non sequitor Ivan:  Unless like you one equates looks with pride.  I was very proud of my late wife for all she had done.  Her looks were only a small element in her persona that made me take pride in her.

• Hockey

Only you can determine whether you can accept her behavior and situation. If the answer is no, then yes it is a justifiable reason to break up with her.

The college thing is a red herring. You are always "justified" to break up with a girlfriend if you're just not feeling the love any more. You don't need a good reason, or any reason at all, beyond "I just don't think this is working out for me." 

Don't try to put the blame on her (it doesn't sound like -she's- the one who has changed). Just say "it's not you; it's me." 

Are you prepared to support her? Do you love her? If not, then perhaps you should move on.